Funny Issue to Remember

Old 01-15-06, 09:37 PM
Funny Issue to Remember

I got called by this homeowner to come to their house and try to figure out a problem. They were about to have dinner when apparently there fuse blew out. A holly homemaker decided she could handle it and didnt want the homeowner to call me. She replaced the 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp fuse and it promptly blew up apparently letting her see her life flash before her eyes. They called me and I went to check out the problem. Hmm, broken fuse. Try to screw in a new one... works fine. Unscrew, rescrew it BOOM! rescrew new one in...nothing hmm go downstairs to main board popped circuit... how the heck did a circuit upstairs pop a circuit downstairs too when its not a main? leave the breaker off, screw new fuse in again. works all lights? Funny huh, think someone must have run two circuits and connected them together somewhere. Just something to remember in the future.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-06, 08:47 AM
Try to screw in a new one... works fine. Unscrew, rescrew it BOOM!
Once you got it working fine, what motivated you to unscrew and rescrew the fuse?

I hope the fuse you put in was 15-amp rather than 20-amp. It was, right?

how the heck did a circuit upstairs pop a circuit downstairs too when its not a main?
Well, I'm not sure what you are asking, but if one panel is the main panel and one panel is a subpanel, a short circuit can cause either the branch circuit fuse in the subpanel to blow or the feeder fuse in the main panel to blow. It's somewhat random which one will go first.

I'd certainly advise this homeowner to have an electrician check out their electrical system. It's not clear that it is safe.

Old 01-16-06, 09:15 AM
Yes this situation is interesting indeed. I had all the lights off when I screwed in the first fuse. So I wanted a repeat test with the lights on. It would make sense if it was popping the main Sub Panel 60 Amp Breaker at the Main Panel but it was another individual circuit in the Kitchen. Both circuits went to the kitchen. One from Sub Panel and another from the main. Unusual thing was when breaker was on and fuse was out, one out of two lights in kitchen worked. When breaker was off and fuse was in, both lights including the one that was on previously was on. When breaker was on and fuse was in POP! I am almost positive someone must have ran two circuits to that light or an adjacent switch and hooked the two together or two circuits going through a junction point has an exposed wire.