Two circuits in a switch box

Old 01-16-06, 07:32 PM
Two circuits in a switch box

I got a murray load center and need AFCIs to serve my bedroom lights and outlets. I initially wanted to run a multiwire branch circuit for this but when reading Wiring Simplified it said you can't really do that with AFCIs, similar to trying to run GFCIs on a multiwire branch circuit. It just doesn't work. I also found they don't make double AFCI circuit breakers that could be used on a MWBC similar to GFCI double breakers. So instead I'm running separate AFCI protected circuits for lights and outlets to my bedrooms.

Here's my problem. I have outlet switches and light switches in the same switch box and they are being supplied by different circuit breakers. I've read that if you have split outlets supplied by different circuits you have to have the breakers tied together so they both get turned off at the same time. Does the same hold true for switch boxes? I would like to have them switch off together automatically but apparently this is not an option with AFCIs yet.

Your comments are appreciated.

TIA,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-06, 07:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1) If the two circuits terminate on a single deivce yoke, such as a spit wired receptacle, then yes, the two circuits must be tied.
The same does not hold true for two circuits being in the same box.

2) They DO make two pole AFCI and GFCI breakers for just these situations, and others. It just depends on the panel style and brand.
Like you won't see one for an FPE or Bulldog.

Old 01-16-06, 07:46 PM
The people I talked to at my wholesale electrical place said Murray doesn't make the double AFCI breakers. Does anyone know different? Do you have part numbers?

Steve