weird problem

Old 01-16-06, 08:50 PM
weird problem

Does anyone know what would cause a problem like this? I have a 220 circuit running to a wall oven. The oven powers up but won't heat. Here are the voltages I am getting at the wires coming to the oven:

Red/White 110V
Black/White 110V
Black/Red 0 (zero) volts!!!

What would cause this problem? This is a brand new house so this is the first time the oven has been used.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-06, 08:56 PM
The oven is wired wrong. Both the black and red wire are connected to the same leg of the incoming voltage.

Old 01-16-06, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by gdoug
Red/White 110V
Black/White 110V
Black/Red 0 (zero) volts!!!
Black and Red are both connected to the same bus conductor in the loadcenter? I don't know how one would accomplish this with a 2-pole breaker. Maybe the installer got confused and hooked up one conductor on A/C breaker "A" bus and one on the Range breaker "A" Bus.
Black and Red shorted during construction ... conductors remain shorted on the load side of the short but one conductor is open on the line side of the short?
Turn off the breaker and see what you've got.

Old 01-17-06, 04:14 AM
WFO
Originally Posted by ArgMeMatey
I don't know how one would accomplish this with a 2-pole breaker. Maybe the installer got confused and hooked up one conductor on A/C breaker "A" bus and one on the Range breaker "A" Bus.
I've have that exact situation happen on a hot water heater. Each leg came off of two different breakers.
I threw one breaker, then made the mistake of only checking one leg to ground before I got on it. Melted my screwdriver on the second leg, then spent the rest of the day making disparaging remarks about the DNA quality of our electrician.

Old 01-17-06, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by ArgMeMatey
I don't know how one would accomplish this with a 2-pole breaker.
Most bus and breaker designs would prevent this.

There are some which would let both poles of a multiwire/240V circuit land on the same leg.
The Federal Stab-Loc for one (they are still used in Canada, re-engineered and things).