Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Anyone install programmable thermostats for electric heat?

Old 01-17-06, 08:25 AM

My husband and I would like to install a few programmable thermostats in our house. We just moved there 2 months ago and we shocked with the electric bill. I know we have to use a special thermostat...I"ve found a few, but does anyone have any recommendations? ALso, how difficult is it? We installed 2 at our old house but it wasn't electric baseboard heat. I think my husband said there are 2 white wires, 1 black and 1 red, but I"d have to double check. THe house was built in 1978. ANy info would be greatly appreciated. We got 1 quote from an electrician and it was close to $1000. Thats for both parts and labor to exchange 6 regular thermostats and 2 with programmable.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-06, 08:41 AM
That would be high, in my opinion.

I just did a quick google and found programmable thermostats for line voltage to be $100 or less. Non-programmable versions are about half that. You do the math. What prices did you find?

The wiring could be almost anything, as far as color is concerned. It could be any combination of whites and blacks. The wires could be in conduit, they could be NM type cables. The only way to know is to look.

They aren't too difficult to hook up. You just have to make sure that you make your connections with the breaker OFF and that you determine which two wires are the line (hot) wires and which two are the load (heater) wires, at least for the programmable ones.

Old 01-17-06, 12:41 PM
any easy way to figure out which wires are which? Maybe it will be obvious when we look at it..not sure. I'll have to check tonight.

Old 01-17-06, 12:50 PM
To determine which are the hot wires use a voltmeter or a neon light tester. The voltage between the two hot wires is 240 volts. The voltage from either hot wire to ground is 120 volts. You should get no voltage between the load wires or between a load wire and a hot wire. The neon light tester will glow when either 120 or 240 volts is present.

Old 01-17-06, 01:03 PM
ok..one last question. So we can figure out the 2 hot wires, but what about the other 2? Does it matter which one hooks up to which, or are those 2 interchangable? AFter doing some more reading it sounds like there will be 2 red wires and 2 black wires in the new thermostat (just ordered it). We have 2 white, 1 black and 1 red. Obviously we'll figure out which 2 of ours are hot, and that leaves us the other 2. So can these be connected to either one of the remaining 2 wires in the thermostat?

Old 01-17-06, 01:06 PM
Yes, it makse no difference which wires are which for 240 volt circuits.

Old 01-17-06, 01:08 PM
Sweet!!!! Thanks!!! Hopefully we'll be receiving it in the mail in a week or so, and we;ll try the install then.