wiring dimmer and outlet as switch loop

Old 01-18-06, 05:48 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wiring dimmer and outlet as switch loop

I would like to light somw bookshelves with rope lighting that will be plugged into a switched outlet. I would like to be able to dim these lights through the outlet (they are incandescent and dimmable).
I have wired light fixtures with a switch loop before. Is there any problem wiring the dimmer to the outlet with a switch loop as long as I relabel the white wire black?
Thanks.
Dave

Old 01-18-06, 06:07 AM
R
What you are proposing will work. However, it will not be up to code. You are not allowed to dim a receptacle. The danger is that someone may plug something in to the receptacle that cannot be dimmed and/or something that needs more power than the dimmer can be pulled through the dimmer, etc.

Unfortunately, I do not know of a code compliant solution for your situation.

Old 01-18-06, 06:17 AM
B
X-10 technology.

Agree with racraft about the NEC. You could also use X-10 technology to dim you light, I have it on three of my lights. I think the website is www.x-10.com.

Old 01-18-06, 07:14 AM
D
Thanks guys. I never thought of the fact that someone could potentially plug the wrong thing into the dimmed outlet.
Since these lights use actual lamp cord, it wouldn't be to code to permanently connect them to Romex in a junction box, would it?

Old 01-18-06, 07:41 AM
R
Since these are lamp cord with a plug then the MUST be plugged in. I agree with bink, look for a plug in type dimmer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: