Outlet Conversion

Old 01-18-06, 08:23 AM
Outlet Conversion

I have a standard wall outlet. I would like to convert it to a light switch controlling a light above. If I can feed line to the fixture can this outlet be converted to a switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 08:28 AM
Yes, you can do this. But it will be a code violation if the receptacle is in a kitchen, bathroom (probably), laundry area, or dining room. And won't switch height be an issue?

Assuming this is not in the one of the rooms above, and assuming that the switch height will be okay, then I suggest you might consider converting this to a switch/receptacle combo device so that you'll still have a receptacle there (to avoid other possible code violations).

Old 01-18-06, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I should explain it better. In our kitchen we have six boxes along two walls above the counter and below the cabinets. There are three non-GFI outlets, 2 GFI outlets, and a switch plate that controls the disposal and a over-the-sink light. I would like to use one of the non-GFI outlets as the new switch to control some under cabinet lights on a dimmer. Hopefully this helps a little.

Old 01-18-06, 08:56 AM
No can do. Kitchen lights cannot be on the same circuit as kitchen counter top receptacles.

Old 01-18-06, 09:07 AM
Thanks. That's why I asked! Any suggestions on what I could do?

Old 01-18-06, 09:19 AM
Is there an accessible attic above the kitchen? How will you be getting the light fixture in place?

The best solution is to tie into the circuit currently serving the existing kitchen lights, and run a cable down the wall to the new switch. Then you can install a new switch in a new box. If you can get above the room, or remove some of the ceiling, it's not that hard.