Outlet Strip (not surge protector)

Old 01-18-06, 12:35 PM
dsuave624
Visiting Guest
Outlet Strip (not surge protector)

Hey fellas. Long time lurker here. Hoping you guys can help me out.

I'm in the process of redoing my kitchen. On one wall, I have an electrical box with 4 outlets. I want to get rid of that box all together and put a "receptacle strip" on the same wall right under the cabinets. I want to wire the strip directly to the live wires and mount the strip on top of the tiles but fixed to the cabinets (I have not done the tiles yet). I'm not looking for a surge protector, but something very similar that allows me to directly wire it to the power.

Does such a product exist? If so, can someone give me a name and/or link? Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check out the Wiremold company. They have a line of products called Plugmold that are built-in versions of the typical plug-strip. FYI, in order to remain legal countertop receptacles, they cannot be more than 20" above the coutertop; depending on the height of your cabinets you could have a problem. Also, you should make sure the receptacles have GFCI protection.

http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer...mold/index.asp

Old 01-18-06, 01:02 PM
Be sure that you check the special requirements regarding countertop receptacles.

Old 01-18-06, 01:15 PM
dsuave624
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by ibpooks
Check out the Wiremold company. They have a line of products called Plugmold that are built-in versions of the typical plug-strip. FYI, in order to remain legal countertop receptacles, they cannot be more than 20" above the coutertop; depending on the height of your cabinets you could have a problem. Also, you should make sure the receptacles have GFCI protection.

http://www.wiremold.com/www/consumer...mold/index.asp
Thanks for the info! This is exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if it existed or not. As far as the height b/w the counters and cabinets, its roughly 18" so I'm good there. Why exactly would they be illegal if they were mounted higher?

Old 01-18-06, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by dsuave624
Why exactly would they be illegal if they were mounted higher?
They wouldn't be illegal, they just wouldn't count toward the required countertop receptacles. Without the required receptacles, your kitchen would be in violation. It sounds like the height will not be a problem however.