problem with low power to major appliances

Old 01-18-06, 12:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
problem with low power to major appliances

I recently lost most of the power to all my major appliances- stove,washer,dryer,hot water heater. There is still some power running thru the lines-for example, the stove light will flicker on but elements will not heat, the washer will run water but will not agitate, the timer on the dryer will turn on but will do nothing else. I have had no problems with any of the other outlets in the house besides those I listed. Thinking it might be the breakers, I replaced those that went with stove,washer and so on but nothing changed. Any help would be appreciated. Took your advice, had power company come out and look at my meter and sure enough there was a problem with the 240 side, connector had burned thru completely. Thanks for the help, ya'll saved me a huge headache.

Last edited by sch37; 01-18-06 at 05:14 PM. Reason: found the problem
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 12:54 PM
R
Call the power company NOW. Do not wait. Call them NOW. Have them come and investigate the power feeding your home.

Old 01-18-06, 02:39 PM
Are those appliances all 240v? It sounds as if one leg of your 240v service is out, if it were my place, i'd have a electrician out to check voltage at the meter. You could call the power company, but linemen are not electicians & they may not be able to fix your problem.

Old 01-18-06, 02:41 PM
R
Always start with the power company. They will come out for free and fix any problem that is their problem, They will often either fix a problem that is your problem, or at least tell you what the problem is.

If you call an electrician and he or she comes out, you will pay for their time, even if the problem is the with the power company.

Old 01-18-06, 03:15 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Agreed; call the power company ASAP. In the meantime, turn off all of your double-pole breakers in the panel to protect your appliances from damage.