subpanel

Old 01-18-06, 06:16 PM
subpanel

I currently have 100 amps coming into my house. I have run out of room on my panel. I was thinking about upgrading to 200 amps but I dont feel like spending the 1200-1500 dollars. I spoke with many people and they say 100 amps is more than adequate and to just add a sub panel. I was thinking of getting another 100 amp panel fed by a 50amp breaker. I saw one at lowes and it had another 9 slots (it said loader), it did not have a main breaker to shut off (is this a sub panel?) Also I don't have that much room in the room that it is in so I was thinking of putting it in the next room. If anyone can give me some direction on this and the correct way I would greatly appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 09:44 PM
You need to do a lot of reading up on the process before you take this project on.

To determine whether your 100A service is adequate, do a "demand load calculation" (google the term). If it is, the subpanel is probably a good solution. It can be located many places in a house, but not just anywhere (bathrooms and clothes closets are both out). I'd locate it near where the additional circuits will be if practical.

A common solution is to use a 60A breaker and #6 copper from the main panel to feed the subpanel. The feeder must be four wires (two hots, one neutral, one ground). Usually, a main disconnect is not required at the subpanel (the breaker in the main that feeds it takes that role). For that reason, you can use a "main lug" panel as the subpanel. In this case, the hot feeders attach to lugs that are bolted to the buss bars rather than to a main breaker. The neutral bar must be isolated from the ground at the subpanel.

Lots more details...This is just to give you an idea. Read some of the other subpanel threads here (there are MANY) and get a good book or two.