Best Brand Meter/Main Breaker Panel??

Old 01-18-06, 06:29 PM
Best Brand Meter/Main Breaker Panel??

I'm buying a 200 amp meter/main breaker panel in the next few days.
The electrician who's helping me install it uses predominantly Square-D equiptment. I think I can get one from him for about $185.00, give or take.(if I'm recollecting his quote correctly). I think the main breaker has spaces for about 42 circuits.(again, if I'm remembering correctly). Is this a reasonable price. Do you think I can get another quality brand for less money, perhaps a Cuttler-Hammer, GE, or some other brand? Appreciate any helpful suggestions. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 07:22 PM
Thats seems like an ok price considering he's also probably charging up to make a little profit. Go with Square-D you'll be glad you did. GE and other brands all use the same system as Square-D (for the most part, meaning a Square-D breakers can fit in GE panels), but theres a lot of reassurance with Square-D. I don't know the price range for other panels, but I doubt if they're much cheaper.

Old 01-18-06, 08:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Be careful stating different breakers can fit in differnt panels. Not all Sq D will fit.
QO only fits QO. Cutler-Hammer CH only fits the same, and so on.
Some may fit but are not approved for use in other's panels. For a breaker to legally be used in a different manufacturer's panel it must be "classified" for such use. Classified breakers are usually a dollar or two more than standard breakers.

It is generally best to use the same brand breakers as the panel brand and type.

Old 01-18-06, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Willg54
Do you think I can get another quality brand for less money, perhaps a Cuttler-Hammer, GE, or some other brand? Appreciate any helpful suggestions. Thanks!
As stated previously, compare apples to apples. The three electricians that I had quote my service replacement all suggested Cutler-Hammer CH, but were willing to do Square D QO for more money. Both mfgrs. have a lower-priced line, so buy on features.

Also I am not familiar with the combo meter-loadcenter panels, so that may limit your choices.

Old 01-19-06, 12:57 AM
I just priced a Square D QO panel here at Home Depot and it was selling for 200 bucks so I think your price is fair