Mobile Home Power Cord

Old 01-20-06, 11:22 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Mobile Home Power Cord

In another thread PATTBAA wrote:

--> It's important to know that the power-capacity of the Service, measured in kilowatts, is the ampacity of the Service Conductors X 220 volts. <--

Would the power cord be considered as the "service" ? Mine reads 50 amp. #6 AWG ST. If so, this cord would be able to handle 11,000 watts (50 X 220)?

Thanks,

Baldwin

Old 01-20-06, 01:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
First of all, is this a camper/home? If so, are you sure you are piping in 220 volts, or 120 volts via a 50 amp plug? All the ones I have seen are only 120 volts through a very large plug.

Old 01-20-06, 03:22 PM
B
It's a 14x70 mobile home, circa 1975, just getting broke in.

Plate outside says 4 wire 50 amp service. In the main panel I have a black, red, white and a green. Where it plugs into the box outside are two cartridge fuses, not sure of the amps.

Only reason I ask is I want to get rid of my Federal Pacific panel, currently 50 amp main breaker, and install a Square D 100 amp panel. I wrote down everything in my house, on what breaker and how many amps I'd draw and it comes to 71 amps. Granted, everything should never be on all at the same time, but I think I'm pushing the 50 amp main.

When my neighbor built his garage they put a new box on the pole, underground to BOTH house and garage. Power to my garage, 100 amp, comes out the side of the meter box to underground and the house plugs in.

Baldwin

Old 01-20-06, 03:40 PM
OK, you are using the term "plugs in". Is there actually a "Plug" and socket setup? It appears they are using the cartridge fuses as a disconnect. If you increase your amperage, you will have to increase the cable size from the disconnect into the residence and to the panel. The power company will possibly provide the service from the new pole to the new disconnect as they did with your neighbor. Check with him to see what they provided or didn't provide.

Old 01-20-06, 04:08 PM
B
Yes. Just below the meter is a small box with the receptacle for the 50 amp cord and a duplex receptacle with screw in fuse, non-gfci, for whatever....and the cartridge fuses. We're talking early 70s here.

So...if I replace the 100 amp main breaker in the garage with a 50 amp then replace my house panel with a 100 amp main breaker in the new panel I should break even. Correct?

When I told the electrician I wanted 100 amps in the garage, he said I didn't need it. How right he was. You don't need 100 amps for a TV, fridge, radial arm saw and a few lights.

I'll talk to my neighbor.

Baldwin

Old 01-20-06, 05:01 PM
The only problem I can see in downgrading the service to the garage is the 50 amp panel may not be able to take the cable originally run for the 100 amp service. It will be too big for the lugs. Basically you will have to install a new disconnect where your plug is, and new underground cable will have to be run to the mobile home and into the new panel. Now, your service entrance will have to be upgraded to 100 amps, also. So you are talking about a few items that need to be addressed

Old 01-20-06, 05:46 PM
B
Indeed. Don't know if it matters but they did a back feed I think it's called. Instead of putting the 'main' it the upper knock out they put it on 1 and 3, I think.

So...the cables going into a 100 amp double (in the garage) may not fit into a 50 amp double? Never thought of that. I could shimmy up the pole to see what size they are but they look to be bigger than the ones from the feed.

Thank you very much.

Baldwin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: