40A to 20A Hookup

Old 01-20-06, 10:11 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
40A to 20A Hookup

I have a 40A electric range circuit (two breakers ganged together) in our breaker box that is free since we installed a gas range. I was told that it could be used for a future garage.

We have now built a garage and I wish to run two 20A circuits to the garage. In lieu of the normal 230V hookup to both ganged breakers, can I wire separate 20A circuit wiring to each individual breaker even though they are ganged circuits? Are there any phase concerns there?

Please email if possible. Thank you.

Old 01-20-06, 11:06 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You could do it if it was a 2-pole 20A breaker. Since it is a 40A 2-pole breaker, you can not use to protect 20A circuits. Either way, breakers are cheap. Usually I see a 2-pole 20A breaker protecting two 20A 120V circuits when they run to separate tops/bottoms of a duplex receptacle for the dishwasher and garbage disposal. That way, if one blows, the entire receptacle blows. This wouldn't be so convenient of the two circuits ran to different places.

Your E-mail is not enabled.

Old 01-21-06, 05:36 AM
R
You did not say if this was an attached or detached garage.

If this garage is attached then you can do what you propose, as long as you use 20 amp breakers or a double pole 20 amp breaker.

If, however, the garage is detached, then there are very special rules about what you can and cannot do. Post back if this is the case, and be sure to tell us about any existing circuits to the detached garage.

Old 01-21-06, 06:10 AM
It is most likely that the cable to the range circuit is a two conductor with ground. If there is no neutral, you cannot do 120 volts.
If it is a three conductor cable with ground, and if this cable is terminating behind the range, how are you going to physically extend the cable from behind the range?

Old 01-21-06, 07:52 AM
N
yes there are concerns

There are concerns. you can not use the 40 amp breaker for a 20 amp rated conductor. You would have to replace it with aingle 20 amp breakers. And like was said if you only have a 3 wire, then you can only run 1 20 amp cir, unles you want a possible 40 amp subpanel that only supplys 110v instead of 240v.

Old 01-21-06, 02:24 PM
I
Thanks-

Thanks guys. You got me away from thinking the 40A dual breaker was actually two 20A individual circuits. I'm not using the 40A range circuit as I mentioned, and I had one more space which could handle two 15A circuits which will be perfect for the garage. Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

Ira

Old 01-21-06, 04:25 PM
R
If you are running new circuits, make them 20 amp circuits. You'll be glad you did.

make sure that what you are doing is safe before you start. is this a detached garage? Are there any circuits presently going to the garage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: