no power at outlet box but power leaving switch

Old 01-21-06, 10:59 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no power at outlet box but power leaving switch

I replaced a flood light without problems. I procrastinated caulking around the outlet box, then it rained, and it stopped working. The breaker did not flip, it is not on a GFCI circuit, and everything else on the circut works fine. The floodlight is controlled by a wall switch.

To help diagnose the problem I used a circuit tester to test for voltage at various points. I removed the floodlight and tested the wiring at the outlet box. There was no voltage at all. not between the hot and neutral wires, not between the hot and ground, and not between the neutral and ground.

I then tested at the switch. I verified there was voltage going into the switch, that there was voltage coming out of the switch (when in on position), and no voltage coming out of the switch (when in off position). The same romex feeding this switch is also feeding another switch which works fine. I also bypassed the switch altogether and no change.

So everything seems fine coming out of the switch but not at the outlet box. It is symptomatic like the romex is cut between the switch and outlet box. Does this make sense to anyone? Do I have to replace the romex between the switch and outlet box? Am I forced to call an electrician?

Old 01-21-06, 11:04 AM
R
How did you test for power at the switch? Is this a switch loop, or is there full power entering the switch box? Where (in relation to this switch) is the other switch you are talking about?

Old 01-21-06, 01:05 PM
A
I used the circuit tester to test for voltage between the ground and each of the hot wire connections. Each had voltage except for the one controlled by the switch. It had voltage when switch was in the on position and not when in the off position. I also took the switch out of the equation by connection the hot wire from the power to the hot wire going to the outlet box.

This is a switch loop (if I understand that term correctly), meaning no neutral wire going into the switch. Both switches are in the same box so nothing is hidden from view. The hot wire from the power lead is connected via wirenut to both switches. The neutral wire from the power lead is connected via wirenut to each of the neutral wires from the romex. all 5 grounds are connected together (2 from the two switches, 1 from each romex).

Old 01-21-06, 04:23 PM
R
This is not a switch loop. Power runs through this box.

Check the wire nut connection for the neutral wires. I bet your neutral connection is bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: