ground stud in load center

Old 01-21-06, 10:47 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ground stud in load center

In my new load center there is a copper lug electrically connected to the grounding bus bar that is sitting next to the neutral bus bar. It looks like something you might connect a spring loaded clamp to as a test point. I have no idea why it is in there as this is not a meter panel where the neutral would be grounded. The neutral is electrically isolated on the panel. As far as I'm concerned the ground shouldn't be anywhere near the neutral in this subpanel. But I'm sure it has some function or it wouldn't be there. Can anyone clue me in?

Steve

Old 01-22-06, 06:11 AM
Are you talking about a new load panel that you just bought or something that has been installed?
Is it connecting the grounding busbar, the panel and the neutral busbar?
The grounding and neutral busbars can be joined in the service panel off of the meter, but not in a subpanel.

Old 01-22-06, 06:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is the bonding strap. Main-lug panels include them, even if they don't get used.

Old 01-22-06, 10:09 AM
B
Grounding Strap! I tried fitting it into the neutral bar and it screws right back into the panel. I'm removing it because this is a subpanel and I don't need or want the neutral bar grounded.

Thanks!

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: