Kitchen Wiring

Old 01-23-06, 11:21 AM
psrs0810
Visiting Guest
Kitchen Wiring

We bought an older house. The one wall is solid. What is the right way for putting electrical wire on that wall?

Also, does every outlet need to be a GFCI or can the first one of that circuit be the only GFCI?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-06, 11:33 AM
Kitchens are very regulated. Please take time to learn and understand kitchen codes before beginning any kitchen project.

In the US you need two circuits serving the counter tops, which cannot serve any lights or other loads in the house, except for dining room receptacles. They can serve the refrigerator in the kitchen in the house, but this is not ideal. Only the first receptacle on each circuits needs to be GFCI, but you need to make sure that the downstream receptacles are connected to the load terminals of that GFCI.

Wiremold makes a great product that is designed to be surface mounted on walls. There are are other similar brands as well.

Old 01-23-06, 12:20 PM
psrs0810
Visiting Guest
kitchen wiring

Thanks for your reply racraft.

Since we have the kitchen gutted. I wanted to hide all of the wiring. - Any suggestions?

Old 01-23-06, 12:26 PM
Use spacers and install a new wall that is just a tad out from the solid wall. That will give you space for a wall. You will need to use conduit inside this wall since it's so shallow (there are other ways, but conduit makes it easier in the long run anyway).

If this entire wall is cabinets, you only need the fake wall between the base cabinets and ceiling cabinets, you can run the wires inside the base cabinets, again inside conduit.

Old 01-23-06, 12:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is the solid wall constructed of: cement, plaster, bricks, blocks, etc? Do you have access to the attic above or basement below the wall? Usually solid masonry walls have the electrical surface mounted with Wiremold or EMT conduit and square steel boxes. Concrete cinderblock walls can have recessed electrical if you can fish wire through the hollows inside the block wall. Another option is to affix a stud wall to the masonry to run utilities in and then do a standard drywall finish on the stud wall.

Old 01-23-06, 12:40 PM
psrs0810
Visiting Guest
kitchen wiring

The wall is a plaster then brick.

My consern is that someone may try and hand a something and end up putting a nail through the wiring.

Am I able to cut a notch in the wall and use conduit or armored cable?

Old 01-23-06, 12:50 PM
Buil a 2X4 wall against the brick wall, then run the wiring the "normal" way inside the stud wall.

Old 01-23-06, 01:15 PM
psrs0810
Visiting Guest
kitchen wiring

Ideally I would like to build a new wall, but the kitchen cabinets and an existing door will not allow that.
Either I have to run from the basement, behind the base cabinets to the outlets or run across, between the base and upper cabinets, to all three outlets

Old 01-23-06, 08:36 PM
You can use plugmold mounted just undeneath the upper cabinets. It is available with alternating outlets on two different circuits.