My kitchen light went out

Old 01-24-06, 07:11 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My kitchen light went out

Hope someone can help me. The other day when I flipped my switch to turn my kitchen light on, it went on for half a second and then shot off. Just like when a bulb blows out. Now I have 3 lights from my light fixture so I thought that it would be odd for all bulbs to blow at once, so when I replaced the bulb and found that it still did not work, I was not surprised. I also have a fan/light combo fixture and the fan does not work as well. I have already replaced the switch thinking that the switch does not work, but that was not the problem. Is it possible that a light fixture could "break down" or is their somthing more to this. Please help.

Thanks

Old 01-24-06, 07:17 AM
R
It could be a tripped breaker. It could be an open on the circuit.

Did you check the circuit breaker? Did you fully turn the breaker off and then on? Are there other lights or receptacles on the circuit that are also not working? Are there other lights or receptacles on the same circuit that ARE working?

Old 01-24-06, 07:34 AM
N
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the breakers and they are all on. I did not reset it by turning it off and back on so I will try that today. Everything else is working in the house. So it is just focused on my light fixture in the kitchen. I have 2 other recessed lights that work of a different switch and they are still working. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-24-06, 07:39 AM
R
Are there other items on the same circuit that are working?

Are there other items on the same circuit that are not working?

Old 01-24-06, 07:42 AM
N
Yes everything else is working.

Old 01-24-06, 08:13 AM
R
You still did not directly answer my question, but I'll proceed anyway.

I suspect that you have an open circuit. This would mean that a wire has come loose or completely disconnected. You will have to check each and every light, receptacle, switch or other device on this circuit.

Start with the light. Use a two wire tester and check for power. Check between the hot wire and the neutral wire, and between the hot wire and ground. If the light box is not grounded/does not contain a ground then check for power between the hot wire and a good ground source. When you are done make sure that the light connections are sound.

Next check the switch. If power goes through the switch then check for power between the hot and the neutral. If this is a switch loop then check for power between the hot and a good ground.

When finished verify all connections to the switch.

Finally, check every other light, receptacle switch and device on the same circuit. If you don’t know what else is on the circuit and/or you don’t know what circuit this light is on then you will have to check every other light, receptacle, and device in the house. Depending upon the age of the house you can rule out some places, such as bathroom and kitchen counter receptacles, but if the house is older then you will have to test everything.

Undo all wires with the power off, but then restore power to do the tests. Turn off power again to re-make the connections.

Old 01-24-06, 08:15 AM
N
Thank you so muh for your help. Hopefully this will work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: