4 out of 5 outlets w/no power

Old 01-24-06, 08:08 AM
4 out of 5 outlets w/no power

I was watching t.v the other day when it turned off then back on for about a minute the off again. I have 5 outlets in my L.R. I had already changed 3 of them with 3 prongs and ground pigtails. The T.V was one of them that was not changed. I changed it and the other one. Well long story short, the other one now has power(which happens to be first on the cuircut) None of the others work. No breaker wasn't tripped either. Already checked for loose wires on all and nothing found. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-06, 08:21 AM
First and foremost, I hope that the circuit you installed these three prong receptacles on is properly grounded. If it is not properly grounded then you created a serious safety hazard and made a serious code violation. Please tell me that the circuit is properly grounded, or that you will correct your mistake and reinstall ungrounded receptacles.

What does a plug in tester tell you about the wiring?

You have an open. One of the wires you THINK is connected is not. Recheck all of the connections. Remake any wire nut connections. If you made any connections to back stabs, remove them and use the screw terminals. If all of the receptacles you changed are okay then it could be another receptacle on the circuit, such as one in another room. It is not necessarily at a receptacle you changed, it could be at one you didnít change.

Old 01-24-06, 08:32 AM
used the green pigtail jumpers that the guy at the elect. store gave me. There are only the 5 outlets and a light in the basement that are on the cuircut. Went downstairs and followed the wires from the box. The outlet that works is the first on the line. then it's the junction box where it splits. on goes to where the t.v was plugged and the other to another plug. both no power. then it goes to a light in the basement with a pull cord then to the another jun box that has two other plugs running off it. Everything after the first plug is dead.

Old 01-24-06, 08:40 AM
I don't care what the guy at the electrical store gave you. If your circuit is not grounded then those jumper wires are useless and you wasted your money on them.

What type of wiring do you have? How old is the house?

If you incorrectly installed three prong receptacles and you have no ground then you created an extremely unsafe condition that you want to fix immediately.

As for your lack of power, you have a problem at either the first receptacle or at the junction box where the split occurs. Check all connections at each location.