Running Eelectrical wire

Old 01-24-06, 08:58 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running Eelectrical wire

Hello and happy basement finishing to all

I am planning on framing my walls about an inch or two in from the poured concrete so I have room to run my electrical wire behind. Is this OK to do? I am just trying to avoid boring holes through all my studs.

Thanks!!

Old 01-24-06, 09:20 AM
E
If you run them behind, then your wires will sag which will put stress on the wires. You only need to drill holes through every 3rd or 4th stud...not all of them.

Old 01-24-06, 09:37 AM
drilling holes in the studs to run wires is done all the time. why the resistance?

Old 01-24-06, 10:15 AM
L
Sounds good. Yea I know its done all the time... I was just trying to make it as easy as possible becouse my wife got me into this project and its a little more complex than what I planned for. But so far so good thanks to you all!!

Old 01-24-06, 01:49 PM
M
If you drill your holes through the studs at the same height from the same direction, using a 3/4 -1" drill bit (preferably an auger bit), you won't have any problem at all running your wires through. Just drill your holes at least 1 1/4" from the front of the studs. You don't have to strap wires that run through studs - you would need to strap your wire every 4 1/2' (every third stud) if you run them behind the studs (and I'd like to see you see you staple a wire to the back of a stud that close to the concrete wall).

Old 01-24-06, 03:39 PM
L
Thanks MC...

Do you think I can drill my holes before building the walls? Any thing wrong with doing this?

Old 01-24-06, 04:07 PM
The big box stores have the metal studs also. The holes are already there! Easy to use also....I think.

Old 01-24-06, 04:10 PM
R
While there would be nothing wrong with drilling holes before putting the studs up, there is no reason too. It will be much easier to do so after framing is complete.

As for the metal studs, they are fine. However, you need to have plastic bushings to fit the holes, to protect the cable so it doesn't get cut on the relatively sharp edge of the metal.

Old 01-24-06, 04:28 PM
B
Originally Posted by racraft
While there would be nothing wrong with drilling holes before putting the studs up, there is no reason too. It will be much easier to do so after framing is complete.
I'd agree with the exception of those areas where the studs are too close together to fit a drill such as in some corners and some windows and doors. Some corners where studs meet on adjoining walls it may be easier to predrill also. I guess it depends on how you are putting up the walls.

Have fun!

Steve

Old 01-25-06, 10:21 AM
B
This is just an observation.

Pulling wire though stus will put kinks in the wire. Removeing the wire do not undo the kinks, but puts in more kinks.

Old 01-25-06, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by leventmine
Thanks MC...

Do you think I can drill my holes before building the walls? Any thing wrong with doing this?
nothing at all wrong with this as long as you know where your runs are going (so the holes are in the correct locations)

Old 01-25-06, 10:54 AM
L
Thanks for all the great info.

On another note... I am planning on hiring an electrition to do the wiring, How much should I expecto to pay for the Job. I will have 10 ressesed cans and about 7 outlets. If I run the wire my self will that save me any money and is there any other prep work I can do?

Thanks!!

Old 01-25-06, 01:47 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I am planning on hiring an electrition to do the wiring...If I run the wire my self will that save me any money and is there any other prep work I can do?
Many electricians will not go for this. You should find a willing contractor before you do any of the work. When he pulls a permit for the job, his name is on the whole project so he will not want anyone else to do work that could get him in trouble. Additionally, it is often not worth his time to take on a small job without being able to make some money on materials.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: