Light Fixture Grounding

Old 01-24-06, 10:44 AM
Light Fixture Grounding

I replaced a light fixture in my house the other day and noticed something odd to me. The light fixture had no ground wire and the ceiling box was plastic. The ground wire coming into the box was folded up into the box. Is this dangerous at all? Should it have had a wire nut on it or something (The new fixture had a ground wire which I connected to the incoming ground wire). Would this setup have had any impact on the grounding of the outlets on this circuit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-06, 10:56 AM
Plastic boxes do not get grounded.

If the only cable entering this box had the hot, the neutral and the ground wire, then there is nothing to connect the ground wire to except the fixture. If the light fixture does not require a ground then there is nothing to connect the ground wire to at all. In this case, you fold it out of the way and leave it there.

Putting a wire nut on it serves no purpose since it's a bare wire. How could it possibly effect the grounding of the circuit?

Old 01-24-06, 10:56 AM
If there was only one set of wires coming in to box then no problem. If you have other wires going on to outlets, then all bare groung wires should be connected.

Old 01-24-06, 11:20 AM
I'm just trying to grasp straws as to why I'm still showing a weak ground on the outlets in my bedroom.

Old 01-24-06, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by XS6DFG0
I'm just trying to grasp straws as to why I'm still showing a weak ground on the outlets in my bedroom.
Weak ground? Can you expand on what you mean?

Old 01-24-06, 12:42 PM
I'll elaborate:

I insert a 3-light, 3-wire circuit analyzer in the outlets in my bedroom. The tester says that if the middle and right side amber lights are on, the receptacle is wired correctly. It says that if only the middle amber light is on, the receptacle is not grounded. My tester shows a bright middle amber light, but a dim right side amber light. I interpret that as a weak ground, but then again I'm no electrician. For my sanity, I have plugged this tester in all around the house and both amber lights shine brightly - just not in this one bedroom. I checked the connections on each of the five receptacles on this circuit - in fact, I put nice new commercial outlets in - no change. Also, when I plug in my fancy APC surge protection strip into this bedroom, it says "Site Wiring Fault". It doesn't say this when I plug it into the other outlets in the house. So I have a circuit tester and surge strip telling me that something is not quite right. This is a 19 year old house.

Old 01-25-06, 11:04 AM
Go to your breaker box, identify this ckt and see if the ground wire is connected to a ground buss. If you have not had experience with breaker boxes then have an electrician check it. Never mess around in any breaker box unless power is off!

Old 01-25-06, 11:48 AM
Do I just shut off the MAIN breaker first and then remove the screws and the breaker cover?