New Outlet Circuit

Old 01-26-06, 04:07 AM
New Outlet Circuit

I am runninng a new outlet circuit in a large basement room (43 x 15) and will be running wire horizontal thrugh the studs. I will place my outlets at 14" above floor and every 6'. My question is ......... do I drill my holes in the stud at 14" or at a rough distance above or below?

Also with a room this size is it best to have 2 circuits, 1 for the outlets and 1 for the lights?

take a look at my site for a sketch I did showing outlet locations.

Thanks

http://mysite.verizon.net/rmacfarland/

http://mysite.verizon.net/rmacfarland/

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-06, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I usually run my wires about 3 or 4 inches above the top of where my box will rest. This gives you adequate bending room for the cable as well as stapling room if you choose to use plastic boxes without strain reliefs. Some run their wires below by the same amount, but I am older and wiser and my knees hurt, so there!
How many circuits you run depend on the load. Usually a basement remodel won't require more than one, but as a matter of convenience, I split my wall receptacles and lighting. If you go down to do work and have to kill a circuit, you, at least, have the other circuit for general lighting to see what you are doing. Now, if one of those rooms is a bedroom, you will have to run a separate circuit to it and protect it with an Arc Fault Circuit Interruptor breaker per current code. If you install either a bathroom or kitchenette, you will have to run separate circuits to their receptacles (2 in the kitchenette) and protect them with GFCI outlets. Good luck with the project.

Old 01-26-06, 05:24 AM
You can't make the holes in the studs at the same level as the receptacles, as the boxes will block the holes. As Larry said, make the holes and run the wires above or below (I would choose above) the boxes. Leave enough room to staple the wires between the box and the hole in the studs.

Analyze your needs. Will you have a home theater system? Will there be a computer? Either of those may benefit from a separate dedicated circuit. What about an air hockey table?

My preference would be 20 amp circuits for receptacles, and then either 15 or 20 amp circuits for the lights.

Old 01-26-06, 06:05 AM
i think every 6' would be a bit much its up to you. the code allows spacing of 12' so no point on the wall is more than 6' from an outlet. where you drill the holes is up to you, make it easy on yourself. you can even go a foot above the box and have a turn down with a staple. more important than the height is to stay in center of the 2x4. 300.4(A)(1) of the nec requires bored holes to have the edge of the hole not less than 1 1/4 from the edge of the wood. if you cant meet this 1 1/4 wire needs a steel plate to cover it.

Last edited by tach; 01-26-06 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-26-06, 06:34 AM
In a room this size I'd run 2 circuits for receptacles and another for lights. A family room can wind up with significant electrical loads once in a while. While there is no limit to the number of receptacles you can put on a residential circuit I like to to limit it to 10 or so. Depending on your activities in the room you may be glad you installed multiple circuits at some point.

UNK

Old 01-26-06, 04:34 PM
Thanks for all the input....

Bore holes above sounds good (my knees arent what they used to be either!)

Good point on the box and holes at same level (duh on my part)

I'll make me a guide to keep in the middle. I misinterpreted code thinking need outlet every 6' instead of no point on the wall more than 6' from an outlet.

Multiple outlet for Ent. Center area another good point.

Heres an add on question....... I ran dedicated circuit to my bathroom. I put GFCI on wall next to and 8" above vanity, is it OK to put an outlet on the opposite wall 14" above floor (like a normal outlet placement) I'm asking because I don't think I've ever seen a "regular" outlet in a bathroom before.

Thanks again for all the input - this site is a great help!

Old 01-26-06, 05:00 PM
Yes, you can place a receptacle in a bathroom that is not next to the vamity. It still must be GFCI protected and on the bathroom circuit. Some people use an extra receptacle for a towel warmer.

Old 01-26-06, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by FairwayFatty
is it OK to put an outlet on the opposite wall 14" above floor (like a normal outlet placement)
That's fine. But for what? Something that needs to be near the floor?

You can put it at the same height as your other receptacle if you like. There is no 14"-from-the-floor rule. So if your knees are bad, put it where you can use it without bending over.
Placed up high, it's one less that you have to protect from small children armed with tweezers, bobpins, nail clippers, and other metallic objects readily available in the bathroom.

Feed the receptacle off the LOAD side of the GFCI outlet.

You can use a Decora style receptacle (more expensive) for that rectangular appearance.
Put a tiny GFCI sticker on it.

Old 01-26-06, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by FairwayFatty
take a look at my site for a sketch I did showing outlet locations.
Did you get answers to your other questions?

Old 01-27-06, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the insight!

You'd have to debate my wife as to why the outlet!

Bo - all the question I've posted have been answered by lots of folks with great ideas...... and quick response too!

I am sure I will have more as my project progresses.

Thanks again to all!