Switched air tub...

Old 01-26-06, 03:51 PM
Question Switched air tub...

Hi all,

I just put in my new tub and have a gfci dedicated 20amp circuit for it. The turbine has a three-pronged plug so I put in the gfci outlet for it to plug into. I've now come to realize that, with the remote control (it does not have an off button), which is hard-wired to the turbine, that the tub will only be able to be turned off by unplugging it. Which is not what I want and don't think is right. So I've put in a wall switch and am now trying to get it to feed the outlet, so I will be able to turn it off at the wall. I've got three wires running to the switch and from there, three to the outlet. How do you wire this correctly? Thanks...your help has been awesome!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-06, 04:00 PM
You switch the hot wire of the circuit, that is the black wire.

Old 01-26-06, 04:19 PM
Switch problem...

Racraft,

What does that mean, "switch the black wire?" I've got two sets of both white, black and [/FONT] [/FONT] green. I know white is neutral, black is hot and green is ground, but am still unclear as to what gets hooked up with what. I've tried twisting all of the same colors together and attaching them to their respective screws and the tub works, but can't be shut off. I've tried twisting the two black together, like I think you suggested, and screwing them into the switch, but the tub won't turn off. I guess what I'm asking is which wires do I use, which do I cap, if any? Thanks...

Old 01-26-06, 04:46 PM
Got it...thanks...

Switch the black, duh...

Old 01-26-06, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by some1on1
I've tried twisting the two black together, like I think you suggested, and screwing them into the switch, but the tub won't turn off.
I guess what I'm asking is which wires do I use, which do I cap, if any?

May I suggest that you read at least one basic house wiring book?

I hesitate to answer because you seem to have no idea how a switch works.
How many screws are there on the switch?
How did you decide which ones were the respective screws?
Do you have any wire nuts?

If you really did what I think you did, turning the switch ON should blow your breaker.

Old 01-26-06, 06:01 PM
I too will echo the comment that you do some reading.

Old 01-26-06, 06:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Before you do all this switching, it seems the root of the problem is the control module (you refer to it as a remote control). Is the control, truly a remote control, like a TV, or is it an air switch mounted to the side of tub? If it is an air switch, it does have an "off" position. You just haven't found it yet. Something just doesn't sound right by not having an off position.

Old 01-26-06, 07:53 PM
Hey guys...lighten up...

Yes I've read a bit about wiring and have installed the actual circuit for the tub, which by no means makes me an even a somewhat experienced electrical worker, which, by the way, if I was I wouldn't be asking all these dumb questions! I'm sure others have relayed to you of their "advice" from HD. Well, I've now been the victim of MISinformation. I guess in the future I'll read more about whatever it is I have questions about before I come to y'all...

Old 01-26-06, 08:38 PM
Exclamation

I guess in the future I'll read more about whatever it is I have questions about before I come to y'all...
My problem is not that you asked dumb questions.

My problem is that you apparently hooked up both grounded and ungrounded conductors to a switch and then energized the circuit ... instead of asking first.

It's clear that you didn't understand.
That's okay. But if you don't understand, why would you turn on the power?

What's more, if you really did twist all of the same colors together and attach them to "their respective screws", that raises more questions.
  1. How did you decide what the "respective screws" were? Home Depot??
  2. If you read a book, how to hook up a switch is pretty basic and there is not a thing unusual about the switch you were trying to install.
    So if you can't follow a picture in a book, what difference does it make how someone describes it in 1000 words?
  3. Why didn't your breaker pop when you turned the switch on?

You do not twist wires together and put them under the screw on a switch or receptacle or any other screw.
Perhaps you got lucky and they popped out from under the screws and didn't short out.

So you rushed off and made more mistakes than I could ever have anticipated.
If I gave you advice and you didn't understand and got killed, whose fault would that be?

So go ahead and ask questions.
But post pictures of everything and ask questions and make sure you understand before you turn anything on.

Or get someone who knows how to do it to inspect your work.
Electrical wiring is not a toy that you can play with until you stumble onto something that seems to work.

Is water involved? You don't want to risk anyone's life by getting this wrong.
It needs to be done well for safety's sake.

Old 01-26-06, 08:50 PM
I put in the gfci outlet for it to plug into.
Another question:

Does the GFCI receptacle have a sticker on it covering two of the screws?

Old 01-27-06, 02:38 PM
Gfci outlet...

Yes, the two on top are covered so I put the black on the lower right, white on lower left and the ground at the bottom...thanks...