3-way diagram

Old 01-27-06, 10:47 AM
3-way diagram

Hello there,
I actually have two questions, first is if I am going to be doing a 3-way dimmer how do I wire the lights together if I want switch with source - light - light - light - light - light - switch. I am looking at the following diagram and I understand how that works, but if I add another light do I use the 2-wire cable and ground?

http://www.the-home-improvement-web....ch-option7.htm

And then secondly. I want to add another electrical mounting box to a finished wall, is there a box that I don't have to cut all the sheetrock around to nail into the stud to secure the electrical mounting box? This mounting box will the the other switch for the lighting that I am talking about in question one.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-06, 12:34 PM
You want to use an old work box with existing drywall. It does not nail to the stud, but rather it has ears that hold it against th drywall.

In your description of your switch setup you only list one switch. However, the picture you link to has two swwitches one at each end, so I am assuming you want a setup like that.

I recommend against this. it;s too confusing and requires too much work. Instead wire as

power - switch = switch - light -light - light
Where:
- is 14/2 or 12/2 wire.
+ is 14/3 or 12/3 wire.

it will be much easier to wire this way.

Old 01-27-06, 01:04 PM
Oh Ok, I re-read your post.

So I can use the following diagram?

http://www.the-home-improvement-web....ch-option5.htm

and then for lights 1-4 it would be the same configuration and then light 5 it would just end?

And does it matter if these are dimmer switches?

Thanks!

Last edited by rion; 01-27-06 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 01:51 PM
Lights beyond number 2 in that diagram are wired identically to light 2.

In a three way situation you use one three way dimmer and the other is a regular three way switch.

Old 01-27-06, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Lights beyond number 2 in that diagram are wired identically to light 2.
So are you saying that if I have 5 lights I can't string them together and that I must link all five to the fixture 1 in the diagram?

Or can I take black from light fixture one, black from light fixture 2 and black going to light fixture three and wire nut them together at the junction for fixture 2? And then do the same with the white?

Old 01-27-06, 03:12 PM
You can connect your additional lights to light 1 or light 2, it makes no difference.

Please obtain and read one or two books on wiring. If you are going to be doing these types of tasks it helps to at least know the basics.