adding an outlet from a light fixture

Old 01-29-06, 10:36 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adding an outlet from a light fixture

Can any one help me. I am adding an outlet from and exisiting light fixture. I was able to get the outlet in and working until I turned off the light switch...then the power cuts out to the outlet. This makes sence to me so I tried every combo of connections I can think of with out success. What am I missing?

Old 01-29-06, 10:47 AM
J
Details would help.

If there is only one black wire and one white wire in the box where the fixture is, then the operation you got is the only operation you can possibly get.

If there are two black wires and two white wires in the box where the fixture is, then you might be able to get what you want.

Let us know what you have, and exactly what you did (i.e., every old cable, every old wire, every old connection, every new cable, every new wire, every new connection).

Old 01-29-06, 11:38 AM
T
Originally Posted by brian pickett
This makes sence to me so I tried every combo of connections I can think of with out success. What am I missing?
I would be careful just blindly guessing at random combinations of connections. In addition to posing questions here, there are a number of wiring books for the DIY'er that provide useful wiring diagrams.

Old 01-29-06, 12:08 PM
B
I have an exsisting light switch with two black wires leading into it. The is a group of white wires attached with a nut and a group of black wires attached with a nut. The light fixture is new with one black one white and one ground. The new outlet I put in is the special kind for bathrooms and kitchens. I have one new black and one new white plus the ground attached to this outlet that leads to the new light fixture.

I put in a new light fixture and added an outlet the new wires from the outlet are attached to the new light fixture and the old light switch wires. I currently have done nothing to the light switch wiring.

Old 01-29-06, 12:24 PM
R
If the only wires you have to the light are black and white, and the black wire is switched then you can't run an always hot receptacle from the light.

You have two choices.

Run three conductor wire from the switch to the light and wire such that one of the conductors is always hot, or power the receptacle from somewhere else.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: