Outlet no longer controlled by switch

Old 01-29-06, 05:51 PM
Unhappy Outlet no longer controlled by switch

I recently redecorated a guest room & replaced all the switches and outlets. The room has had 2 outlets on one wall that were split so that the upper socket was always hot and the lower one was operated by the wall switch. There is a ceiling fan/light that has been plugged in to the lower socket on one of these and is the main source of light in the room. I replaced the outlets very carefully, even disconnecting & reconnecting one socket at time so I would be sure to reconnect them exactly as they had been before. However, now all of the sockets are hot all the time and none are operated by the switch. I made a drawing of the wiring but cannot figure out how to attach it to this post, so I will attempt to describe what is in the box. There are 3 2-wire bundles coming into the outlet, all from the top. Bundle #1 comes in from the right and has a wht/blk/grnd. Bundle #2 comes from the left and has wht/blk/grnd and bundle #3 comes frome the same place as #2 but only has wht/blk. The blk wire from #1 and # 3 and the white wire from #2 are all connected together and one blk wire comes out of the connector. The blk wire from #2 goes to a connecter by itself and a red wire comes out. The white wire from #1 and #3 are free. The ground wire from # 1 and #2 are connected together with a single ground wire comes out the other end. If you can make sense of what I described I would appreciated it if anyone could tell me how this mess should be connected to the outlet. Right now the white wirre from #1 and the blk from #the #1/#3 connector are connected to the same socket and the wht wire from #3 and the blk from #2 are one the smae socket. The ground wire is connected to the grnd screw.

I have mostly been focusing on one of the outlets. I'm not sure if the other one is not hooked up correctly if it would affect the functioning of this outlet.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-06, 05:56 PM
Did you break off the brass tab on the side of the receptacle that has the brass colored screws?

UNK

Old 01-29-06, 06:02 PM
You forgot to break the tab on the new receptacles.

Duplex Receptacles are designed so that, when brand new, a single wire connected to one of the brass screws and a single wire connected to one of the silver screws will provide power to both halves of the receptacle. There is a small metal tab that joins the two halves together, between the screws on each side.

To have one half of the receptacle switched and the other half always on, the tab must be broken on at least the brass side of the receptacle. take a look at the receptacle you removed and you will notice that the tab has been broken off, probably only on the brass side. make the new receptacle identical to the old one and you will have solved your problem.

Old 01-29-06, 06:05 PM
No...I did not! It is dark here now so I will try that tomorrow morning...
I went back and looked at the old ones I removed. There were a total of 4 so I'm not positive which one came from that outlet, but one of them does have the tab broken off. I will let you know what happens after it try ot tomorrow.

Thanks for you extremely fast reply! I barely got it posted and certainly didn't expect to get an answer that f ast!

Old 01-29-06, 06:10 PM
You guys are soooo fast! Thanks for the reply! I will try it tomorrow when I have enough daylight to see!

Old 01-29-06, 06:38 PM
Talking

Well....I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I got my flashlight out, shut the power off & tried your suggestion. I am happy to report that it worked! I have to admit that after you mentioned this I kind of went "Duh!" I'm obviously not an expert but have done some electrical stuff before...usually with a book in one hand. Once you and the other person who replied so quickly mentioned this I immediatley remembered the tabs! Thanks so much for your help! I will certainly remember this website the next time I have home improvement questions!

Old 01-29-06, 06:41 PM
Well....I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I got my flashlight out, shut the power off & tried your suggestion. I am happy to report that it worked! I have to admit that after you mentioned this I kind of went "Duh!" I'm obviously not an expert but have done some electrical stuff before...usually with a book in one hand. Once you and the other person who replied so quickly mentioned this I immediatley remembered the tabs! Thank you both so much for your help! I will certainly remember this website the next time I have home improvement questions!