Lightbulbs a popping

Old 01-31-06, 07:23 PM
Lightbulbs a popping

I have two lamps wired to one switch in an upstairs bath that are eating lightbulbs. Time between bulb replacement is counted in weeks not months. I have had an electrician check it out with no luck. On a few occasions the bulbs have actually made a loud pop; what's up ? The fixtures can get very hot as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-06, 07:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is this the only place it is happening?
Any other strange occurrences electric wise?
Is the lamp (lightbulb) fully enclosed by glass?

Old 01-31-06, 07:50 PM
Is this a regular, modern, commercial fixture? Is it installed according to manufacturer's instructions? Is it subject to vibration? Are you using moderate wattage bulbs, such as 60-watt bulbs? Is it left on all a lot? Are you using good national-brand bulbs? Have you tried "130v" or double-life bulbs?

Old 01-31-06, 11:14 PM
Are the lights on a multiwire branch circuit?

It sounds like a tiny drop of water splashes on them once in a while.
Did you change the shower head or curtain before this started?

Old 02-01-06, 10:24 AM
Light bulbs popping

In answer to all current questions:

The fixtures are from HD and are replacements of original installs of builder. I made note of wiring of originals and followed wiring diagram in box; all connections have wire nuts on them. The lights are mounted on a wall mirror surface, four feet above the vanity ; the right one being wired into the left, then to a wall switch on the left wall. The shower head is behind a curtain, 4 feet away, at a 45 degree angle from a center point between the fixtures.
Original fixtures had plastic sockets, the new have ceramic; both required a max wattage of 60 per unit, which has been complied with. I have used all
manner of bulbs from standard incondescent G.E. and Sylvania;the funny looking oval long-life bulbs to the new-style currly florescent-like long-life bulbs. The style of bulb has made no difference.
The fixtures have always run hot and on occasion, the lights are on all night. Bulbs have blown while on as well as blowing at the flick of the light switch. This has been occuring since 2001; the house was built in 1999. The shower head is not original and is a low-flow type. There are no other unusual
occurances in other parts of the home. Stangely, this U/S bath is wired to the cuircut breaker of the downstairs kitchen?
Hope that's enough info ?
Thanks

Old 02-01-06, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by jtcole
Strangely, this u/s bath is wired to the circuit breaker of the downstairs kitchen?
Are only lights in kitchen and lights in bathroom on same circuit?

What about receptacles?

When did you replace the fixtures?

Are kitchen lights fluorescent?

Old 02-01-06, 02:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have installed hundreds of fixtures from HD and Lowes. I hate to say the quality from them is less than stellar. I can't say this has anything to do with your problem but it may.

Old 02-01-06, 03:08 PM
Pull out the center electrode of the socket, so as to make a firmer contact. I was told a weak contact could cause minute arcing and shorten the light bulb life. Be sure power is pff when you do this.