what size screws fasten the front on a panel?

Old 02-01-06, 10:27 AM
wgc
what size screws fasten the front on a panel?

What size screws should I look for to fasten the front on a subpanel? I found something labeled for that use from my home center but they are slightly large and have too coarse a thread. Is there an older standard size I should look for?

I finally took a bit of a look at the nightmare in the attic (ancient unlabeled fuse box on 'new' wiring) and one of the issues is the front of the panel was laying in the insulation with nothing to fasten it to the panel with.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-06, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's my experience that they vary quite a bit. The cheaper grade panels use course thread sheet metal screws and the higher end panels use tapped broad head machine screws. There really is no standard; just go to the hardware store and buy a few that look close.

Old 02-01-06, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
But be sure to purchase screws specifically for fastening the cover of an electrical panel. They will not have a point, and should be self tapping. I would suspect the finer thread with a self tap would work best.

Old 02-01-06, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
10/32 is a very widely used size. Some use a sheet metal screw thread with a blunt starter nose to the screw

Old 02-04-06, 08:13 PM
wgc
8-32

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
10/32 is a very widely used size. Some use a sheet metal screw thread with a blunt starter nose to the screw
It ended up being 8-32

Old 02-04-06, 09:23 PM
I recently added a circuit to my box. The inside loops - or whatever you want to call where the screws are supposed to fasten - were not really holding that well. You could pull the screws out a bit, screw a bit, and then pull again. I didn't care for that at all and I still believe that whoever invented slotted screws should be whacked a few times.

I replaced mine with 10-32 Philips sheet metal screws. Personally, they hold significantly better and actually function as screws.