new subpanel

Old 02-02-06, 04:24 PM
new subpanel

I just installed a new subpanel in my workshop. I put in a 50amp breeaker at the main panel and ran 12/2 db wiring to my shop which is only 35 feet away. It appears that the subpanel is hot but that it stops there. I have all of the subpanel breakers in and connected right , so I am confused as to what my problem is. I did run a ground from the neutral bar to a rod outside , but that was thinking maybe my panel wasn't grounded.
Can someone help me figure this out even if I send pictures of work lol. thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-06, 04:41 PM
I hope you meant that you ran 12-2 wire IN your shop and not from the 50A breaker to power the subpanel! Also, ground and netural should be isolated (not bonded together) in a sub panel.

Joe Michel

Old 02-02-06, 05:00 PM
Shut that 50 Amp breaker off now!

I'm with Mach1, and I'm sorry to say this, but if you did what it sounds like you did, you may be in way over your head. And you've created a situation that can burn down something - or kill you or someone else.

Can you provide more detail regarding your connections, sizes of wires, how you determined that it "appears the panel is hot but that it stops there" etc?

Old 02-02-06, 05:05 PM
First step:

Turn off that 50A breaker.

Second step:

Spend a LOT of time reading up on the proper installation of a subpanel, or hire an electrician to (re)do it for you.

Your post indicates LOTS of errors. A subpanel is not an easy DIY task unless you REALLY KNOW what you are doing.

Buy (or check out from a library) a couple of good electrical books. Spend time reading the previous subpanel threads here. Then develop a plan as if you had not started installation yet. Then present the plan to us along with the relevant details (attached vs detached workshop, loads, wire run distance from main panel to subpanel, etc). Offer the details we will not be able to remember to ask (there are lots of details). There are several professional electricians here who are great help, along with quite a few of us non-electricians who have hung out here long enough to parrot what the electricians have taught us.

Old 02-02-06, 05:25 PM
List of errors, or possible errors, depending on exactly what you did do, as it unclear.:

Two conductor wire (plus ground) run to a sub panel. You need three conductor cable, plus ground for a sub panel, unless you only want a 120 volt sub panel.

12 gage wire to the sub panel with a 50 amp breaker. A 50 amp breaker requires 6 gage wire. 12 gage wire is only good for 20 amps.

Ground rod installed. This is only appropriate if this is a different structure. If the workshop is in the same building as your main panel then you don't want a ground rod.

There are other issues, such as ground and neutral being separated at the sub panel, breaker size in the sub panel, etc.