home runs in a basement remodeling

Old 02-02-06, 07:34 PM
home runs in a basement remodeling

finishing my basement which will consist of 10/13 family room and 9/13 bedroom

i want to put 9 outlets in bedroom and 10 outlets in family room
is that ok, ? im also usint 12/2 instead of 14/2 with 20amps...

is that ok, without over doing it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-06, 09:30 PM
ISC
Originally Posted by michael4244
finishing my basement which will consist of 10/13 family room and 9/13 bedroom

i want to put 9 outlets in bedroom and 10 outlets in family room
is that ok, ? im also usint 12/2 instead of 14/2 with 20amps...

is that ok, without over doing it?
That sounds like It would be fine for normal use and remember that the bedroom must be ARC fault protected per 210.12(b). I've known people who prefer that their house be wired in 12/2 and it does allow for less resistance of the circuit and higher ampacities and with greater efficiency. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 02-02-06, 10:15 PM
I want to put 9 outlets in bedroom and 10 outlets in family room, is that ok?
It is okay.
I might run 12-3-G to the family room to supply two separate circuits and conserve wire.

Make the first box a big one to divide the circuits.

For the bedroom receptacles, use a 20A AFCI and 12-2-G wire.

Old 02-03-06, 05:13 AM
The question needs to be asked, what do you intend to power in those rooms.

A computer and/or an entertainment center might call for dedicated circuits. I would certainly at least have two circuits if either of those were in the plans.

Please make sure that your bedroom has the proper two means of egress or you will not pass inspection.

Old 02-03-06, 05:18 AM
ISC
Originally Posted by bolide
It is okay.
I might run 12-3-G to the family room to supply two separate circuits and conserve wire.

Make the first box a big one to divide the circuits.

For the bedroom receptacles, use a 20A AFCI and 12-2-G wire.
Keep in mind that an AFCI circuit must have it's own neutral and cannot share a neutral with another circuit.

Old 02-03-06, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by ISC
Keep in mind that an AFCI/GFCI circuit must have its own neutral and cannot share a neutral with another circuit.
Did anyone suggest anything contrary to this?

Old 02-03-06, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by bolide
Did anyone suggest anything contrary to this?
I see the relavance. Many folks like to use multi-wire circuits for bedroom home runs.
Thing is you CAN use a shared neutral multi-wire circuit for bedrooms which require AFCI protection. They DO sell 2-pole AFCI Breakers.

Old 02-03-06, 06:22 PM
mxw128
Visiting Guest
ARC fault breakers

What are the new NEC rules for using ARC fault breakers? (When and where do I need them?) I'm finishing my basement as well (no bedroom) just a workshop, workout room/office, bathroom and family room.

Old 02-03-06, 06:40 PM
mxw128 Wrote:
What are the new NEC rules for using ARC fault breakers? (When and where do I need them?) I'm finishing my basement as well (no bedroom) just a workshop, workout room/office, bathroom and family room.
None of those rooms are required to have AFCI protection. Since AFCIs are still not fully developed I would not apply them on circuits were they are not yet required.

Old 02-03-06, 08:20 PM
mxw128
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply! So where are AFCI breakers required? Currently only in bedrooms?

Old 02-03-06, 08:37 PM
Yes.......

Old 02-06-06, 02:22 PM
conserving wire with a 12/3

i have a splice box that i need to run to the service panel, so i have 7 homeruns.

how can i wire the box using 12/3 wire to conserve wire.

wait that sounds confusing.
ok, say i have 6 blacks and 6 whites.
instead of running 6 blacks and 6 whites to match those, how would i do it using 12/3 wires which come with white/red/black?

Old 02-06-06, 03:07 PM
I hope this splice box is quite large.

You would run three multi wire circuits.

However, I don't recommend this unless you thoroughly read and learn up up on multi wire circuits..

Old 02-08-06, 04:30 AM
yes, well the reason i ask is because recently i had my electric upgraded (by a licensed electrician)to 200 amp service and the old panel was in the basement but due to the location of the line coming from the pole to the house new rules called for the closest location from house to pole right? so they installed the new panel inside the garage (better for me anyway) and they basically ran a splice box from the basement ceiling into the garage moving all the lines to the garage.
and i noticed they used several 12/3 lines to do so, so i asked and they told me its to conserve wire and to eliminate running more lines than necessary.

so being i will need to run my basement wires to the panel inside the garage when i finish my basement, i want to know how i would connect 6 lines?

i could just as well use 6 lines to meet up with the basement lines inside a large splicebox like they used being its such a small number of wires to connect i guess right?

Old 02-08-06, 11:42 AM
due to the location of the line coming from the pole to the house new rules called for the closest location from house to pole right?
Poco rule, perhaps.

so they installed the new panel inside the garage (better for me anyway) and they basically ran a splice box from the basement ceiling into the garage moving all the lines to the garage.
Not my preferred technique.

I noticed they used several 12/3 lines to do so, so i asked and they told me its to conserve wire and to eliminate running more lines than necessary.
True.

so being i will need to run my basement wires to the panel inside the garage when i finish my basement
Your electrician should have left you with a subpanel in the basement.
I guess you were paying him by the hour.

i want to know how i would connect 6 lines?
This is pretty silly. Instead of having 15 runs to the garage, you should have a subpanel in the basement and no more than two runs to the garage.

i could just as well use 6 lines to meet up with the basement lines inside a large splicebox like they used being its such a small number of wires to connect i guess right?
What do you mean "meet up"?

I would put an end to the madness and use a real subpanel.