Ceiling lights

Old 02-03-06, 06:29 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling lights

Ceiling lights

I changed 4 ceiling light fixtures. One of the had some wires that twisted off when I changed the fixture and thus did not know which wire went to which wire. 2 of the fixtures went up fine. I will call these the number one and 2 fixtures. The # 3 fixture is the one that had the wires twisted off. The #4 is above the kitchen sink. I got the # 4 to work also. There are 3 white wires and 3 black wires and 1 red wire and 1 short "jumper"" wire in the #3 fixture that the wires twisted off. The problem is that the # 3 fixture will just stay on if the switch is on or off. It will not turn off. I changed the switch and it just stays on. I know that one black wire goes to the #4 fixture above the sink. One black wire goes to the kitchen stove fan and light and the other black wire goes to the #3 fixture. I have tried to wire these different ways but the light will just stay on. I put the white wires(3) together. I have put the red wire with the black wires and also with the white wires and the light will not turn off. Any suggestion?

GB

Old 02-03-06, 06:37 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The red wire most likely is to be connected to the fixture black wire, and to nothing else. The black wires are most likely wire nutted together, as would be the white wires. You could verify this by looking at the wires on the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: