Running a jumper from old box to new box


Old 02-04-06, 09:45 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1
Question Running a jumper from old box to new box

I have a question about running a jumper from an old breaker box to a new breaker box. The old box is 100 and the new is 200. I am remodeling a house one room at a time and cannot afford to redo all the electric at once. What size wire do I need to pass inspection? There is about 35' between the two boxes. thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-06, 09:49 AM
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: port chester n y
Posts: 2,117
#3 copper conductors.
Old 02-04-06, 11:47 AM
bolide's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,909
Originally Posted by PATTBAA
#3 copper conductors.
I agree, but #4 THHN conductors work too unless locally prohibited.
If it is only "temporary", it's not worth the extra money.

100A CB required in old panel.
Old 02-04-06, 06:51 PM
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 719
There's a lot of assumptions to your question. May be this will give you some ideas.
If the old panel is no longer in use and you want to feed power into the new panel
You can temporally feed the new panel using a double pole 20 amp breaker with 12 gauge wire.
or mount a GFI receptacle outside the old panel and plug the new panel into that.
The size of the wire and breaker depends how much current you need temporarily feeding your new panel.

Remember safety first ! You need to prevent everyone from coming in contact with your temporary wires 24/7.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes