steel ceilings and light fixtures

Old 02-04-06, 12:28 PM
N
njs
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
steel ceilings and light fixtures

I'm installing a tin (steel) ceiling in a hallway and bathroom. While placing the ferring strips across the existing ceiling in the bathroom we're remodeling, the topic of replacing the light fixtures over the vanity came up, with the final idea of either hanging pendents or placing other fixtures on the ceiling. Realizing that the metal fixtures would be in direct contact with the metal ceiling, what type of problem would this create. Can this be done safely? Particulary if the old wiring (70 year old house) does not have a ground wire in the existing box by the vanity? And what about having the tin ceiling above the bath. It would take a basketball player to touch the ceiling from inside the bathtub, but does this mean the whole lighting circuit should be on a GFCI if we go this route? (there IS a GFCI outlet currently in the bathroom)

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-06, 01:22 PM
R
This type of bathroom remodeling requires bringing the bathroom up to code. If the wiring is not grounded then it needs to be replaced.

Further, in my opinion, if the bathroom receptacles are not up to code then they need to be brought up to code as well.

Old 02-04-06, 03:42 PM
I concur with RAC. Before putting up a new ceiling, put in new wiring.
A ground fault could go undetected for years in a ceiling like that.
Then one day you go to change a bulb, get shocked, fall off the ladder, and break your neck.
It's almost a completely preventable hazard.

Old 02-06-06, 12:53 PM
N
njs
I guess the single GFCI receptacle in the bathroom should be up to code as these weren't around 68 years ago, right?

But back to the original question- then is a simple grounded circuit is all that would be needed in this circumstance, or should the lighting be also on a GFCI because of the steel ceiling being over the bath/shower?