hot-to-touch light switch

Old 02-05-06, 05:10 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hot-to-touch light switch

I just installed some recessed lights in my master bedroom. I installed 10 lights total, each one with a 45 watt bulb. I wired them in line and used the existing circuit for the ceiling fan/ light. I also installed a light switch with a slide dimmer adjustment. The switch is rated at 600 watts, 120 volts, 60 hz. The lights all work perfectly, however, the switch is warm/ hot to the touch. Is this switch overloaded?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-06, 05:42 PM
R
If you have 450 watts on this switch, and it is rated for 600 watts, then it is not overloaded. It is normal for dimmer switches to get warm. Hot would be a problem, but warm is okay.

Old 02-06-06, 11:51 AM
K
Thanks for the info. I thought that it might be okay. The switch is definitely more close to hot than warm. I left in on and monitored it for about 30 minutes. It gets hot but not to the point of burning your hand. I have 2 switches at this location. One for the ceiling fan and one for the ceiling fan light. Should I install another switch to power some of the lights and reduce the load? That is a pretty straight forward install, right?