240V feed wire has current flow feel?

Old 02-06-06, 04:21 PM
240V feed wire has current flow feel?

Hello, I am a new member, and have a question, PLEASE.

Today I installed a new Dayton 240V/208V hanging heater, and such has a separate wall mounted thermostat. I was replacing a older Dayton unit that had lost its heat element. I followed the instructions and it fired right up and has been working fine all day. I have by habit I always check new installs after they have been on for an hour or so to see if the feed line is hot. This line is NOT HOT, but just a HINT of warmth. When I wrap my hand around the feed line I felt this current movement flow, at least this is what I call such. No shock, but just a mild vibration so to speak. I am concerned with such and would welcome COMMENTS on this.

I have double checked the wiring and all appears to be fine.

Help!!!!!

Thanks for hearing me out.

Dale
Indy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-06, 04:31 PM
We need more details. What guage is the feed wire? What type of wire is it? Where did you feel it? How many amps and watts is the heater?

Old 02-06-06, 04:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll also ask where you feel this? Close to the heater?
Could it be the vibration of the fan resonating down the wire?

Old 02-06-06, 05:01 PM
The wire is copper AWG 6, 300V, two wire plus ground. Heater is NEW 10KW, 60HZ, single stage, marked on heater 0.55 amps, but manual says 42.0. Control is 24V.

I feel this more up close to the heater, and when the unit is NOT working. When I throw the main feed switch the feeling goes away. I replaced a similar heater and don't recall it doing this. I am using the same thermostat, and ASSUMED it to be ok to use. I don't seem to get the feel when I grasp the feed line approx. 15 feet from heater. The line is mildly warm.

Thanks,

Dale
Indy

Old 02-06-06, 05:51 PM
Buzz could be from transformer.

What happens if you cut power entirely?

Old 02-06-06, 06:51 PM
As I stated, when the power is killed it goes away. I am thinking it is from the transformer. My son has the same heater in his shop and I just called him and his does the same thing, so must be OK.

Thanks to all.

Dale
Indy