High Voltage Reading

Old 02-07-06, 01:01 AM
High Voltage Reading

Hi all,

I'm upgrading light fixtures in my garage. The existing lights are operated by two, 3-way switches.

As part of the upgrade, I am moving one of the switches to a more convenient location. While doing the prep for the switch move, I took a voltage reading from the 12-3 wire supplying the switch from the breaker box at the switch itself. I took readings with the hot source both disconnected from and connected to the switch.

I was a bit surprised when the reading showed at 157 alone, and 153 when connected to the switch. I know voltage levels can vary by as much as 15 volts either way, but I have never seen this before.

Any ideas on what is causing the higher voltage? I checked other lines and none of them have the same high voltage reading.

Thanks!

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-06, 01:41 AM
Any ideas on what is causing the higher voltage?
Are you using a wiggy?

Old 02-07-06, 04:53 AM
Try a differant meter. If it still reads high call the power company. You don't go by volts on plus or minus. Voltage can vary + or - 10%. so at 120V, 132V would be the max.

Old 02-07-06, 05:39 AM
Use an analog meter and/or check the battery in your meter. A bad battery will lead to an incorrect reading.

Old 02-07-06, 10:40 PM
you guys were right - the battery in my meter was going. A new battery fixed it.

Thanks guys!

Rick