Junction box or the "proper" way?

Old 02-07-06, 06:16 AM
Question Junction box or the "proper" way?

Hi,

I'm currently re-doing our basement and I've noticed that in my office when some new wiring was installed by the previous owners, that instead of routing the wiring through the joists to get to the electrical panel, they (just before the last joist) routed them (two in total) under the joist to the panel instead. Since the wiring is outside of the joist, it sort of limits the way the ceiling can be finished (i.e. you want the wiring out of the way and not interfering with the strapping). I would like to fix this and am thinking of two different ways:

1. cutting the wire a little ways from the panel, route the middle end of the wires through a hole in the joist, then splice 'em back together in a junction box
2. the proper way: disconnect the wires from the panel and route them properly through the joist, then reconnect them at the panel

Obviously, #1 is easier since I don't have to mess with the panel (and the panel is very "busy" so pulling out the long length of ground and neutral wires - the live wire is short - is a bit of a pain). Whereas, #2 is the proper way but more effort. Any opinions? Is the junction box method just lazy? Any downsides to it?

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-06, 06:23 AM
Number 1 may be easier, but you will end up with a junction box. Since all junction boxes must be permanently accessible, you will have to place a blank cover plate over it, visible and accessible in your ceiling. I can't imagine that you want this.

Old 02-07-06, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by parkers1
cutting the wire a little ways from the panel, route the middle end of the wires through a hole in the joist, then splice 'em back together in a junction box
Where will you get enough slack (are you using a 13" juction box?)?

> disconnect the wires from the panel and route them properly through the joist, then reconnect them at the panel

Yes, do this.