outlets dead but breaker/GFI not tripped

Old 02-07-06, 12:52 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
outlets dead but breaker/GFI not tripped

I have three kitchen outlets that stopped working a few weeks back. No breaker or GFI has been tripped. I pulled off the covers and checked for power and loose connections. None found in either case and all connections are screwed down tight.

A couple of years ago I had a circuit in the house that was giving me problems and it turned out to be a socket that had been installed using the "quick insert" terminals rather than the screwdown terminals. This doesn't appear to be the same problem.

I'm at a loss to know why this is occuring. I don't mind calling an electrician in but, if it's a quick fix, I'd like to try to figure this out on my own first.

Paul

Old 02-07-06, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
May we assumed that you turned the breaker off and back on?

Did you turn all 15A and 20A breakers off and back on?

You have to trace the wiring until you find out where the power stops.

Take the cover off your CB panel.
Check the wire coming out of the breaker.
Make sure the corresponding neutral is tight.
(Make sure all neutrals are tight.)

Follow the cable to each junction box and check these.

Old 02-07-06, 02:01 PM
R
Did you check the receptacles on the circuit that still work? The problem could be at one of those receptacles.

Old 02-07-06, 02:16 PM
T
Thanks

...for the quick responses. Yes, I flipped all breakers - no change. One of the mysteries to me in checking this is knowing which additional sockets are in this circuit. How do I trace the wiring? I'll check out the links provided in the forum - sorry if I'm requesting obvious info here.

Paul

Old 02-07-06, 02:20 PM
T
more

FYI - I do have a tone and probe set but have never been sure if I can use them safely/successfully on AC lines.

Old 02-07-06, 02:20 PM
R
Paul,

Shame on you. You should already know what is on this circuit. Everyone should know what is on each and every circuit in their house. This is something you need to determine shortly after moving in.

Not only is the information invaluable at a time like this, but it could save your life.

Since you don't know what else is on the circuit, you will have to check everything in the house. Start with the obvious possibilities, such as other kitchen receptacles. Depending on the age of the house you may not have anything but kitchen counter receptacles on the circuit.

Old 02-07-06, 02:42 PM
T
Ok

The house is new construction - 1999. The box is labeled fairly extensively but some of the markings are illegible.

I appreciate your recommendation to fully document my circuits but, if I flip and test each circuit in the box, I don't see how that will tell me what other sockets are on this circuit with the dead receptacles. Am I missing something obvious?

Old 02-07-06, 03:10 PM
R
It's too late now to determine which circuit these receptacles are on. You need to do this when everything is working.

Find the breakers that power the kitchen counter top receptacles, and with the power off check the connections at those other counter top receptacles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: