wiring a bathbar light to a switch

Old 02-07-06, 02:05 PM
wiring a bathbar light to a switch

Hi... I am trying to wire a light above the bathroom sink to a switch. Currently there is a medicine cabinet w/light that is directly connected to the electrical line. I want to take out the medicine cabinet and install a light that connects to the switch that is located by the door. The switch by the door turns on a overhead light. I bought a double switch but I am still confused as to how to wire it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated....Scout5

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-06, 02:59 PM
None of us can tell how to do this, or even if you can do this (without running new wires) unless you tell us ALL the wires at the switch and at the overhead and at the light you are replacing.

Tell us what cables exist and how the wires are connected to anything (another cable, the switch, the lights etc.).

Old 02-07-06, 03:52 PM
okay....I looked in the crawl space and I see one line from a junction box to the switch and back out to the overhead light. This works just fine. The next line is from same junction box to a receptecle by the bathroom counter. This works fine. The third line from the junction box into the medicine cabinet light.
I would line to replace the medicine cabinet light and put it on a duel switch with the overhead light. Does this make any sense?

Old 02-07-06, 04:01 PM
The first thing I recommend is getting a basic residential wiring book, before you go any further. You need to know some basic principles before you get yourself in trouble.

If the circuit feeding the current single switch is not overloaded I would recommend you do the following.

1) fish a new wire down from the switch, to the jbox.

2) disconnect the line side of the medicine cabinet light in the jbox, cap the line side if there are any exposed conductors, I'm guessing its all pig tailed from one circuit.

3) Tie your wire you fished from your light switch to the load side of your medicine cabinet light.

4) Now install the dual light switch and pigtail the hot that are in that box so you can use that to feed the line of the light switch. Connect your new wire to the load side and you should now have a functioning dual switch.

Be advised if your jbox is overcrowed you may to get a bigger one, as with your current switch box. If the light switch box is small and undersized for all of these wires now is the time to replace it and not jam more wires into it. Again please get a basic wiring book before you start this project and read through it.

Roy

Old 02-07-06, 04:29 PM
I have read through some electrical books. I think I understand......I need to open the j-box and disconnect the line to the medicine cabinet. I then fish a line to the switch from the j-box. I then add another line back up to the new light? So...there will be two lines into the switch from the jbox and two lines out to the two light fixtures?

Old 02-07-06, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't go this way, as you are likely to overfill the switch box.

You only need one new cable. That being from the switch to the new light. I think this is what Roy was trying to say.

Old 02-07-06, 04:39 PM
You only need one new cable. That being from the switch to the new light. I think this is what Roy was trying to say.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I only intended on using one new wire, this would only add one additional wire in the switch box. The feed would come from the switch already in the box (If the circuit can handle the additional load). The new wire is only intended to extended the current light wire that is not long enough in the jbox.

Old 02-07-06, 04:57 PM
I was thinking about that....so the new line runs from the switch to the new light. Is it okay to cap the three black wires together?

Old 02-07-06, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by scout5
I was thinking about that....so the new line runs from the switch to the new light. Is it okay to cap the three black wires together?
It would help if you stated which three black wires you are asking about.

Old 02-07-06, 05:08 PM
the black wire in the line that runs from the switch...the black wire on the new light fixture and the black wire on the line that currently exists...(the line that currrently feeds the medicine cabinet light)

Old 02-07-06, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by scout5
the black wire in the line that runs from the switch...the black wire on the new light fixture and the black wire on the line that currently exists...(the line that currrently feeds the medicine cabinet light)
"the line that currrently feeds the medicine cabinet light" will no longer exist,

Old 02-07-06, 07:49 PM
where does it go?

Old 02-08-06, 05:31 AM
You remove the cable that presently runs from the junction box to the medicine cabinet. You add a cable from the switch to the new light.

Old 02-09-06, 01:26 PM
Okay that makes sense...I disconnected the line that runs from the junction box to the medicine cabinet and took it all out. I need to go get a longer line that runs from the dual switch up to the new light fixture. So.. in the switch box there will be 3 lines? Is this correct? All the whites would be tied together...the feed line on the one side and the 2 other blacks going out from the individual switches?

Old 02-09-06, 01:37 PM
Yes, I think you have it.