GFI on a Fountain

Old 02-07-06, 03:07 PM
GFI on a Fountain

I installed fountain pump on a circuit that is located on the outside of my home. I added another GFI outlet as a precaution. The is already one that exist in my washroom for this circuit.

My problem is that the fountain pump trips the GFI and everytime I reset the circuit and turn on the pump it trips the circuit again. I tried replacing the pump with a new one and the ciruit still trips.

Details of the circuit are as follows....
The wiring to the pump is buried a min of 18 inches using grey electrical conduit with 3 conductor Romax cable. The hot and neutral wires are correctly attached to the pump with the ground wire (unshielded copper) attached to the pump "green" wire. This copper wire is attached to ground at the GFI switch.

The GFI is a 20 amp unit more that sufficient to handle the 1.5 amp pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-06, 03:12 PM
Take the NM cable out of the conduit. You cannot use it outside. It will rot. It may even be the problem. You need to use either directly buried UF cable or THWN wires in the conduit.

Which GFCI trips? Are the GFCI receptacles new? Have you tried the pump temporarily wired in some other manner?

Old 02-07-06, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by vca001
I added another GFI outlet as a precaution.
Okay, I think.

> My problem is that the fountain pump trips the GFI and everytime I reset the circuit and turn on the pump it trips the circuit again.
> I tried replacing the pump with a new one and the circuit still trips.
Is the pump rated for use on a GFI?

> The wiring to the pump is buried a min of 18 inches using grey electrical conduit with 3 conductor Romax cable.

If you mean NM cable, that has paper inside.

> The hot and neutral wires are correctly attached to the pump with
> the ground wire (unshielded copper) attached to the pump "green" wire.

Yeah, but is the neutral damaged somewhere?

What happens if you wire a porcelain socket at the end and put a 100W bulb in it.

If the GFI trips, you have a bad circuit.
If it doesn't, you have bad pumps. (You could also test the pump with the ground disconnected.

Put a milliammeter (or voltmeter) between the pump's green screw and the bare ground wire and watch the meter when the pump starts.

Regardless, the NM in the ground is wrong.

Old 02-07-06, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The romex is likely an issue. The redundant GFI may also be.
If you have a circuit that is GFI protected, another GFI on that circuit will give no more protection.
One is good. Two is not better.

Old 02-08-06, 11:03 AM
GFI Update

I have tried attaching the pump via an extension cord to an outlet. The pump ran fine without tripping the GFI.
I will try the buried UF cable or THWN wires in the conduit and see it that helps.
The GFI's are both new. I will remove the redundant GFI and update you all next week.

Thanks for your input.

Victor

Old 02-08-06, 11:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The is already one that exist in my washroom for this circuit

Not sure, but I think that the washroom ( bathroom) circuit is supposed to be dedicated to the washroom only. Not the cause of your problem, but I think it violates code.