Spacemaker Microwave what would you do?

Old 02-07-06, 02:29 PM
Spacemaker Microwave what would you do?

We made one mistake when we ordered our new home, we didn't specify that we would have a spacemaker microwave.

No problem I thought, replace the cabinet above, cut in a box, and move the wire that the vent hood was using to the new box. In turning off the breaker to the hood, I discovered that it's shared with the 'fridge receptacle. The circuit is 12/2, 20 amp.

So, should I abandon that line and pull a new one for the microwave? I'm no code expert, but I thought I read somewhere that a microwave should have it's own circuit. True? What's the consequences of having the 'fridge and microwave on the same circuit? I have all the materials on hand to pull the circuit, and it would not be hard to do in this stage of the game, I'm just wondering if it's necessary.

TIA,
Joe Michel

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-06, 02:33 PM
Both the refrigerator and the microwave should be on dedicated circuits. This is not necessarily code, but it is a good idea.

If the installation directions for the microwave specify a dedicated circuit then you need to provide one.

Old 02-07-06, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mach1
What's the consequences of having the fridge and microwave on the same circuit?
The circuit will be overloaded if the microwave is running and the fridge compressor starts. The circuit breaker will allow it. But the voltage sag will be harder on your fridge.

Pull a new cable for the microwave; you'll regret it if you don't.
The fridge should have been on a circuit by itself from the beginning.

Old 02-07-06, 03:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the micro is fixed, such as your OTC unit, it must have a dedicated circuit.
The fridge can share a small appliance circuit but the hood cannot. This was a violation.
I would remove the hood from the fridge circuit and run a new 20 amp circuit to the micro.

Old 02-07-06, 03:51 PM
Thanks again, guys! I'll pull a new 20A line for the microwave and abandon the old hood line.

Joe Michel