changing my elec to accomodate spa

Old 02-07-06, 03:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
changing my elec to accomodate spa

Can I change my electrical outlet in the garage to be able to run a 220v 40amp hot tub? There is currently no wires coming from the tub. Someone cut the main wire inside the box. I can see where the wires go to, there are only a black and a red, these are wires in the hot tub. I want to test it before i put it in the back yard. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-06, 03:26 PM
R
Doubtful. You probably don't have a 40 amp circuit to your garage. You also need a ground for the hot tub.

Old 02-07-06, 03:30 PM
T
Can i run my own 40 amp circuit?

I need power to check out this hot tub that was given to me. Can I run my own 220v 40amp circuit to it? if so please explain, I'm a very quick learner with 5 mouths to feed. THANX.

Old 02-07-06, 03:36 PM
R
Start by obtaining the manual for the hot tub.

Yes, you can run a temporary line to test the hot tub. However, 6 gage wire, which you need for 40 amps is not cheap. Unless the distance is very short, you would be better off planning your new run and temporarily using some of the items you will need for the final run.

Old 02-07-06, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is a good link to basic information about wiring a spa:
Wiring a spa

This is not a simple job and has many special codes so you had better really study up on what you need to do. This is also NOT a project for anything less than a seasoned DIYer.
Please be sure you are comfortable doing this. The 5 mouths you are responsible for will be happy you did!

Also, NO, there is no easy way to check this thing out. You need to run the proper circuit to it, or at least start to run it. Do NOT try to cob it together to test it. Especially from a general 120v receptacle!!

Old 02-07-06, 11:37 PM
Totalof6,

Please listen to Racraft and Speedy - or your family could end up Totalof5. Codes or not, working with electricity is dangerous, and especially so for those with little to no training and/or experience.

There is no easy and SAFE way to do what you propose to do. If you just want to check out the functionality, many spas have both a 220 and 110 volt option. As Racraft said, you will need the manual to determine if this is possible.

If you can run the spa at 110, you won't be able to turn on the jets and the heat at the same time - just one or the other - but at least you will be able to tell what works and what doesn't.

Having the 110 option will allow you to make a temporary connection using the gauge of wire specified in the manual. Before you do, make sure the outlet, circuit, and breaker are all rated for the amperage specified in the manual.

If everything is rated properly, you could buy or construct a short cable (no more than a foot or two) with a 3-prong connector at one end, and directly connected to the spa panel at the other. You could then use a properly rated extension cord to run from your spa to a properly rated outlet.

Please be safe!

Best wishes.