Recessed lighting question

Old 02-07-06, 08:09 PM
Recessed lighting question

Hello.

I have a question about the wiring of multiple recessed lighting cans to a single switch. I am not ready to work on this project but I need to put the wiring in the second story floor / first floor ceiling so I can finish the floor and have the wiring ready for the lights.

I wish to confirm that the cans are wired in series / daisy chained with a single cable to be controlled by a single switch. I.e., three lights would be wired in series with one 12/2 cable to a single switch.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-06, 08:29 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sjm123
I wish to confirm that the cans are wired in series / daisy chained with a single cable to be controlled by a single switch.
Daisy-chained, yes. The individual loads are actually in parallel.
You do not need a star configuration (you can mix and match a bit if needed).

> I.e., three lights would be wired in series with one 12/2 cable to a single switch.

Correct.

Both black and white are tapped at each light. That makes them parallel.
You could run a string of 30 lights this way with a single cable from one to the next. (The total load is in series. But wired in series doesn't normally mean this.)

Old 02-07-06, 08:30 PM
Welcome sjm123,

Technically, it's not "series" but I think I get your meaning. The basic answer is yes - you would run a switched hot and a neutral and ground from your switch to the first can, connect the blacks, whites and grounds together along with the black, white and ground going to the next can... repeat as necessary.

But how many lights, what wattage and circuit capacity come into play.

Why aren't you installing the cans now? It's way easier working from the top than the bottom!!

Old 02-07-06, 08:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The new "old" work can lights are a breeze to work with, especially in remodeling. Cut the hole where you want it, put the wires in special wire blocks, close the lid, shove it up and push the keepers out -- done. It sure beats cutting sheetrock around existing cans, although a rotozip makes it a little easier. Just a thought.