Check out my box

Old 02-09-06, 07:36 PM
Check out my box

Just bought my first house and lets say it needs a little attention on the electrical side. I am content to leave the wiring alone in the main section of the house. My concern is the garage where I spend a good amount of time. Currently I have only one outlet in the garage and it on a circuit with the garage lights, door opener and a bunch of other stuff in the house. Hence my problem.

My needs are to have a safe electrical system that can handle a 120v air compressor, 120 volt welder, and other power tools, though not all at the same time.

My plans are to add a subpanel in the garage, just the basic 100 amp $80 one I saw at lowes. I think 6 circuits.

I have easy access from my main panel (outside of house) to the attic and the short distance to the garage.

Here is a pic of my current main panel.

http://www.kandjadventures.com/image...s/P2090057.JPG

http://www.kandjadventures.com/image...s/P2090058.JPG

The questions???

1. Will I have to disconnect the power to the main box (there is no main disconnect)?

2. Is a 40/40 double pull breaker normal for washer/dryer?

3. Do I have the right idea?

4. There is double 100/100amp breaker that is the service disconnect. Does this mean I have 200amp service?

5. Is this enough information to even answer the questions.

Thanks

Morty

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-06, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Morty
Just bought my first house
Congrats!

I think 6 circuits.
You will wish for more.

1. Will I have to disconnect the power to the main box (there is no main disconnect)?
Normally, no. But great care is required not to contact energized parts with your hands, copper wires, or anything metallic.
At the least, wear clear safety glasses so you don't get hot metal in your eyes.

2. Is a 40/40 double pull breaker normal for washer/dryer?
No way. That would be outrageous. It looks like it says 30A.

If true that a standalone washer runs off this circuit, this is in urgent need of correction. No real electrician would make a mistake like this even on his worst day. 30A is fine for the dryer assuming it is electric heat.

If your washer and dryer are a combination unit, then this is fine, again, assuming electric heat.

4. There is double 100/100amp breaker that is the service disconnect. Does this mean I have 200amp service?
No. 100A. And the meter pan is obviously only 100A.