Tieing together neutrals in 3 gang box

Old 02-11-06, 06:30 AM
mxw128
Visiting Guest
Tieing together neutrals in 3 gang box

I have a three gang box that has 3 different circuits running through it, each is a 3 way switch, one was pre-existing wiring in the home and 2 are new runs. When I wire the box for the rough in inspection, they want to see my grounds and neutrals wired. I will combine all of the grounds in the box using crimps but because of the insulation and using wire nuts, combing the same number of neutrals seems to become a large bundle (5 wires) that is tought to manage (especially sicne the inspectors want to see 8" of wire past the front of the box)

Can neutrals in the same box be tied together in smaller groups (1 group of 3 and another of 2) or is it required that all neutrals in the same box be tied together?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-06, 06:45 AM
You never, ever tie neutrals from DIFFERENT circuits together. I hope you haven't done this elsewhere in your house.

Do you really mean different circuits?

Old 02-11-06, 07:03 AM
mxw128
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by racraft
You never, ever tie neutrals from DIFFERENT circuits together. I hope you haven't done this elsewhere in your house.

Do you really mean different circuits?
Yep, different circuits. In this particular box one circuit is from a pre-exisitng stair light and the other two are for basement lighting.

I haven't done this elsewhere and thought it might be improper. I recall somthing about the breaker panel being the single point where neutrals from different circuits should be connected (through the neutral bus bar) , so I asked. So for each seperate circuit, I'll tie only those neutrals together. The ground are a different story and SHOULD be combined, right? (That works MUCH better for me from a practical standpoint too! )

Thanks for the info!! Once again, the value of this board is shown!!!

Apreciate it!
Mike

Old 02-11-06, 10:20 AM
Ground wires are always connected together in each box, regardless of what circuit they come from.

Old 02-12-06, 06:23 AM
mxw128
Visiting Guest
Thanks racraft, that is what I thought and have done. Makes sense to me.

Funny thing is that I tried to find a similar situation elsewhere in the house and see how they wired it. (I live in a newer house, a little over 2 years old so I figured if the inpsectors passed it once, they should have no problem approving the same methods again...) When I looked at another 3 gang box with three 3-way switches, each circuit was wired completely independently, including the grounds... this would have made my life a little easier when I wired (just keeping things looking neat) , but I still think tieing all of the grounds together is the right thing to do....

Thanks for the help!

Mike