Ceiling Fan Switch for 5 speed fan

Old 02-12-06, 12:03 PM
Ceiling Fan Switch for 5 speed fan

I have a Galleria Sierra Ceiling Fan with speeds of: Advanced, High, medium, low and off. The pull chain broke out from the switch. I took the broken switch out of the fan housing and replced it with a 5 to 8 wire switch from Home Depot and the fan only ran on very slow and super fast speed. Next I tried moving all the colored wires around and that did not work either. I even tried going to specialized electrical and hardware stores and no one could order this replacement part. This has been going on for a month now and I am thoroughly frustrated. I'm ready to almost buy a new 3-speed only fan. Any ideas? Would it be easier switching to a remote control switch or wall control switch for both the fan and the light?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-06, 03:08 PM

This switch may only be available from Galleria; but a major elect. supply may be able to identify it. The biggest problem you have is you have mixed up the wiring, and will have to sort that out with any switch you chose to install, even a remote.

Old 02-12-06, 04:03 PM
I would track down the replacement switch instead of trying to do something else. If you run a rehostat or preset in the wall, the fan MUST be set on the highest setting or it will burn up the fan. To do this you would have to be able to set it with the built in switch first.