Help - QC spotcheck this wiring layout

Old 02-12-06, 04:40 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help - QC spotcheck this wiring layout

I'd like a spotcheck on this wire layout I have.

These 3 recessd light "banks" will be on 1 circuit but have different switches. I am not sure if what I have is "code" can someone take look at the first 2 sketches on my site. The first is a hand sketch of my "plan" (hope you can read it) and the second is the switch wiring I plan to use. I am tieing in to the 4th light in bank 1 and the 4th light in bank 2 and the junctions will be in those light housings.

Thanks for any help.
FF

http://mysite.verizon.net/rmacfarland/

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-06, 05:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 91 Votes on 78 Posts
It would be much easier for you to bring the power into the 3 gang switch box. Take 2 wire cable from the switch box to each bank of lights.

At the switch box tie 3 short lenghts of black wire to the incoming power black, these will feed each switch. Connect one of the outgoing blacks to each switch, these are your switched hots.

Tie all the whites together and tuck into the back of the box. Tie all the grounds together and ground each switch.

Run from light 1 to L2, L2 to L3 etc for each bank.

Old 02-12-06, 05:30 PM
J
Received 261 Votes on 228 Posts
Looks like you are indicating 12/2 between the lights. It won't work. You will need 12/3 from L1 to L2 to L3 to L4

Old 02-12-06, 06:00 PM
J
In response a to a PM which doesn't help anyone else reading the post.

Since you are running power though the light before it gets to the switch you need 12/3 between the lights in your drawing because you need to bring unswitched power to the switch and then switched power back from the switch to each light.

Old 02-12-06, 06:21 PM
R
FF,

When you have multiple lights in a three way (or four way) setup, and you want to wire one switch from each end, you have to use an additional wire between the lights. This is what joed is stating.

It will be easier to understand if you wire through a single light, and then wire from that light to the others.'

But even easier is what joed also suggested, that being run power into the triple gang switch box and then wire to each of the other switches, and then to the first light.

Old 02-12-06, 07:01 PM
F
To bring everyone up to date

This is the PM I sent. (Saw you were online from the green light and wasnt thinking how it would withold info from others)

Thanks for the reply to my post on the recessed light wiring. You mentioned that I would need 12/3 between L1 L2 L3 and L4 for each bank. In the diagram it shows 12/2 to the light and 12/2 to the 3 way switch then 12/3 to the second 3 way switch. Is the diagram wrong or will it not work in this application?
FF
joed
In response a to a PM which doesn't help anyone else reading the post.

Since you are running power though the light before it gets to the switch you need 12/3 between the lights in your drawing because you need to bring unswitched power to the switch and then switched power back from the switch to each light.
I am just a thick skulled machinist and takes me couple of kicks to figure you sparkys out! I see exactly what you mean now (dohh!) I already have the wire pulled in that snake configuration on my crappy sketch but it is still all one length..... I am going to throw one more of my crappy sketches up with what I think is what you are saying and would like another review......give me a few mintutes.
Thanks for your help pcb, joed and racraft. FF

Old 02-12-06, 07:31 PM
F
Well I have justed posted another of my "sketches" and I think (hope) I have the right idea. Please take a look at the Fig5 and my sketch right below it. I beleive you guys are explaining a modified version of Fig5 (3 switches instead of one). Please take a look at this and let me know if I am heading in the right direction.
Thanks. FF

http://mysite.verizon.net/rmacfarland/

Old 02-12-06, 07:57 PM
R
That looks much better!

Old 02-13-06, 07:51 AM
J
Originally Posted by racraft
FF,

When you have multiple lights in a three way (or four way) setup, and you want to wire one switch from each end, you have to use an additional wire between the lights. This is what joed is stating.

It will be easier to understand if you wire through a single light, and then wire from that light to the others.'

But even easier is what joed also suggested, that being run power into the triple gang switch box and then wire to each of the other switches, and then to the first light.
He is not wiring one switch from each end. He was wiring power from one end and a switch loop from the other end. One switch on each end would have required two addtional wires to the ones I stated. You would need to add two wires for the travellers.

Old 02-13-06, 10:07 AM
F
The main thing I am trying to do is to wire in the simplest and most common way an electrician would do the job so that when the inspector comes he is looking at a common method used in the trade (and maybe he wont pick on my work!?)

joed - My first "plan" was all screwed up, confusing and wrong. I now understand what you are saying about the travellers.

My latest plan - Option 5 with latest sketch is posted on my site. Any other comments on this method?...... I'm going to try to get this done after work this week.

Thanks for your reply racraft

Old 02-13-06, 10:15 AM
R
I do have another suggestion. Buy large junction boxes. The two gang box you use will have two 3-way swiches connected to two 12-2 cables and two 12-3 cables. The three gang box you use will have three 3 way switches connected to one 12-2 cable and three 12-3 cables, as well as the pigtail for the incoming power. You will want plenty of room to work with.

Old 02-13-06, 10:35 AM
F
Is an oversize box just deeper than standard? Otherwise a 2 or 3 switch face plate would not fit a bigger box.

I was at Lowes yesterday and all I seem to see is standard "New Work" and Old Work" in the standard sizes. Would I need to got to an electrical supply for oversize boxes?

Thanks again for your help. FF

Old 02-13-06, 10:52 AM
J
I would do just like you have in the new drawing.

Old 02-13-06, 11:02 AM
R
By a larger size box I mean a deeper one. You may have to go to an electrical supply house to find one, but there are different size boxes. Box size is measured in cubic inches.

Your three gang box must be at least 40.5 cubic inches, and your two gang box must be at least 33.75 cubic inches.