Previous Owners Used Outdoor Wiring Inside

Old 02-13-06, 11:42 AM
Previous Owners Used Outdoor Wiring Inside

I am in the process of adding a dimmer switch to control a chandelier (that's replacing a pull chain-control ceiling fan). The wiring comes from a standard recepticle through Wiremold then to the chandelier. I am going to add a dimmer between the recepticle and the chandelier. The old wiring is stamped "UL 14-2 AWG 14 Ground Type UF600V UV resistent". This seems like it's outdoor cable. Does that make sense?

Also, I am planning on replacing the existing run from the recepticle to the chandelier. I have 12-2 NM-B Romex. Can I use that or should I get 14-2 NM-B?

thanks
rts

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-06, 12:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by artieess
The old wiring is stamped "UL 14-2 AWG 14 Ground Type UF600V UV resistent". This seems like it's outdoor cable. Does that make sense?
That is okay. They just wasted money using expensive UF cable where they could have used NM indoors.

Also, I am planning on replacing the existing run from the recepticle to the chandelier. I have 12-2 NM-B Romex. Can I use that or should I get 14-2 NM-B?
You should use #14 if it is a 15A circuit or #12 if it is a 20A circuit. You can use #12 on a 15A circuit, but it will be confusing to someone down the road who might mistake the 15A circuit for a 20A circuit when he sees #12 wire.

Old 02-13-06, 12:12 PM
It does not make sense to use UF cable inside wiremold. Wiremold is designed for individual conductors. But what's done is done.

Assuming this is a 15 amp circuit, I would use 14-2 NM-B from the receptacle to the switch and then NM-B 14=3 from the switch to the ceiling fixture. This is, if you intend to run the cable inside the walls/ceiling. If you plan on using the wiremold I would use individual 14 gage conductors.

Old 02-13-06, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks
You can use #12 on a 15A circuit, but it will be confusing to someone down the road who might mistake the 15A circuit for a 20A circuit when he sees #12 wire.
But what's done is done. I think it is more confusing if there is a larger size in the panel and a section that is smaller somewhere else. When the panel is replaced, that circuit could end up with a 20A breaker.
I vote for maintaining the existing size throughout the circuit.

Old 02-14-06, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
Assuming this is a 15 amp circuit, I would use 14-2 NM-B from the receptacle to the switch and then NM-B 14=3 from the switch to the ceiling fixture. This is, if you intend to run the cable inside the walls/ceiling. If you plan on using the wiremold I would use individual 14 gage conductors.
It is 15 amp. I will stay with 14 gage wire.

I am not clear about the difference b/t 14-2 and 14-3. Won't one of the conductors in 14-3 just go unused? I thought 14-2 would connect with black from recepticle to dimmer then black from dimmer to fixture; white would be uncut and go straight from recepticle to fixture; green/ground would connect from recepticle to fixture.

Also, racraft, are you recommending individual conductors because of an issue with fitting NM-B in the wiremold?

Thanks to all for the help!

Old 02-14-06, 12:15 PM
I am recommending 14-3 instead of 14-2 for future use. Someday you or someone else may want to put in a combination fan and light, in which case it will be better to have an extra conductor.

Running NM inside the wall and ceiling is my first choice recommendation.

I am recommending individual conductors if you keep and use the wire mold because that is what it is designed for. But this is my second choice recommendation.