GFCI Makes Clicking Noise

Old 02-13-06, 07:56 PM
Angry GFCI Makes Clicking Noise

My home is about 5 years old. For the past 1 1/2 years we've been having a problem with a GFCI outlet in the kitchen. Every so often it will make a clicking noise repeatedly for a few seconds as if it's going to trip. It doesn't. I've replaced the outlet. Problem returned after a few months. I have NOT replaced the second outlet also on that same circuit.

Our house was struck by lightening in late 2004 between hurricanes in central Florida. It hit the rain detector on the same side of the house as the GFCI. We lost the control box for the irrigation system, security system control panel (on same wall as GFCI) as well as a TV. We also attribute problems with the refrigerator to the strike.

My concern: Fire. I'm worried that if I don't track down the source of the "ground fault" (which is what I think is happening), we're going to have an electrical fire. As you might have guessed, I'm a bit on the paranoid side.

Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-06, 08:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
GFI click

Hi Richard, If you have access to an ohm meter. Disconnect the conductors from the rec. and the elec. panel. ONLY if you'r comfortable with this.
There should be NO continuity between any conductors. If there is, REPLACE the cable.

Old 02-13-06, 08:49 PM
Welcome, Richard.

Originally Posted by Richard_v
Our house was struck by lightning in late 2004 between hurricanes in central Florida. It hit the rain detector on the same side of the house as the GFCI.
You could replace the breaker in the panel with an (expensive) AFCI. This would rule out arcing (black to white).

A GFCI trips at a tiny current flow to ground. It doesn't sound likely that there is a ground fault.

If you press the TEST button, does the noise stop immediately?

Originally Posted by lectriclee
There should be NO continuity between any conductors.
on the LOAD side.

Old 02-13-06, 09:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Actually if the conductors are disconnected from the breaker and the device there should be no continuity on line side.
If there are wires on the load terminals, there may very well be continuity on the load wires if there is a load connected downstream.