Gas HW Emergency Switch Location?

Old 02-13-06, 07:32 PM
Bob33
Visiting Guest
Gas HW Emergency Switch Location?

I had my gas hot air furnace serviced this week and while there, the tech said that the high efficiency gas hot water in the same mechanical room (in my basement which is 3/4 finished for TV watching and computer area, 1/4 "mechanical room" with separate walls from rest of basement area) needs an emergency electrical shut-off switch installed. My gas hot air furnace has one at top of basement stairs but not for the gas HW. I assume he is correct; if so, can I simply install one outside of the door leading into the mechanical room or must it be at the top of the basement stairs?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-06, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If this is an actual mechanical room then anywhere outside the room is sufficient.
Are you sure the two are not on the same circuit already?

Old 02-13-06, 07:51 PM
Bob33
Visiting Guest
Speedy,
No, separate. The furnace has a cut-off switch at top of stairs. HW has a cord with a plug that goes into a wall outlet (it was new construction and inspected by township) that is not switched. But at that time, the basement was not finished as it is now with a separate "mechanical room".

Old 02-13-06, 08:27 PM
It would be quite unusual for cord&plug equipment to require a shut-off switch.

I don't see how it helps you. I have an outdoor ball valve to shut off my gas service. Cutting the electric to a gas-appliance isn't nearly so useful as cutting off the gas - to the entire house and not just from the safety of being outside the room, but of being outside the building...

It's not like the water heater has a blower to send smoke through your whole house in 20 seconds.

Old 02-13-06, 08:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it was required before it would be up with the furnace switch. Why do you need one now is my question.
I doubt this power has control over the flame. It's most likely just for a draft inducer fan.
I doubt this would require an emergency switch.

Old 02-14-06, 03:28 PM
Bob33
Visiting Guest
Thanks all; I think I'll call the townshhip and ask them their thoughts.

Old 02-16-06, 07:55 PM
My brothers' gas water heaters have electric for both the vent assist fan and ignition.