Add breakers / Upgrade service

Old 02-14-06, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add breakers / Upgrade service

Thanks all for the reading it has been very helpful. I will keep this short.

I have a 70a service coming in to a 1300 sf home / cape which i bought recently. Breaker box has 8 or so slots left.

Gas heat and water.

I am planning a remodel on my kitchen. Currently 2 20a line to the kitchen, with a 240 for electric stove. I am planning on adding 2 20a lines to break the receptacles out, and to have sep. circ. for each the fridge, microwave, and dish / disp.

other than the kitchen i only have a freezer in the basement, a electric dryer, and a jacuzzi tub in the master for major power users.

my question, will i need to upgrade the service to 150 / 200 when i get an electrician to add the lines for the kitchen. will an inspector call for it? i wouldn't mind leaving it as is, since i never really have any breakers flip and all but the dishwasher is already installed..

i realize it never hurts to do this, but i wouldnt' mind waiting till after i get the kitchen in. basically will i have to eat the pill now or later.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-06, 11:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
A service upgrade is a pretty common side effect of a kitchen remodel. What you need to do is a formal load calculation. Given the spa, electric dryer and electric range, it sounds like you are in need of a service upgrade; but the calculation will tell you for sure. The inspector could require it as part of your kitchen remodel project, and the electrician will probably bring it up too.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...ns/demandcalc/

Old 02-14-06, 12:18 PM
You would need to use more electricity to have a problem. Adding more breakers (by themselves) does not increase your electricity use.

If you aren't tripping breakers now and you aren't adding anything new that will use electricity, then you won;t likely trip breakers in the future, even if you have more breakers.

Old 02-14-06, 12:47 PM
thank you both for the help, i appreciate it. i am with you on the point of not tripping breakers now, so i shouldn't trip breakers with adding circuits for the same appliances.

of course adding circuits does add to the possibility of tripping the main correct, if i loaded up at one point with a couple hair dryers, and a toaster oven while the major appliances are running? since i could pull more amperage across all of the circuits without tripping an individual 20 / 15 amp breaker?

other than that I guess my only question is that if i run the numbers for load, and it is under 70 amps, is there any code forcing me to upgrade? or is there a minimum amperage for services to a home, if circuits are being added? i just want to be able to talk with an electrician intelligently / inspector.

thanks again.

Old 02-14-06, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Correct, if you add more appliances then you run the risk of overloading the main. If you're just adding receptacles without new appliances, then nothing will change from a load standpoint.

The requirement for new homes is 100A service minimum, however there is no requirement to upgrade existing homes unless you add enough appliances (load) to warrant an upgrade.

I misread your original post also: I thought you had a Jacuzzi spa instead of a Jacuzzi whirlpool tub. A spa uses significantly more power because of the built-in heaters. With just the whirlpool tub, your load is not as high as I originally thought.