Meter box knock out wrong size

Old 02-14-06, 07:49 PM
Meter box knock out wrong size

I made the knock out on the bottom of my meter box too large. I was going to use 2 1/2 inch conduit and I sized my meter box knock out to that size. After realizing that 2 1/2 inch conduit was way too large I changed my mind to a smaller size forgetting that I'd already made the knock outs.

I can't find a 2 1/2 inch to 2 inch PVC reducer. Carlon makes one, but I can't find it online or at a store. I'll check again.

Is there a fix for this type of problem that I've not thought of? If there is not, I will have to have the concrete cutters come back and put in a larger hole in my basement wall. I have to go through basement wall.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-06, 08:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hole too big!

It does not have to be a "carlon" reducer. You could take 2 -4" square covers and punch them out to 2". then drill and tap a screw thru all three metal serfacses to make sure you maintain the bond.
Or go to the supply house and just buy 2 - 2 1/2" to 2" reducers.

Old 02-14-06, 10:07 PM
Two reducer bushings (one on the top and one on the bottom) usually makes a stronger installation. This will look like a professional installation - not a mistake.

You might also find it helpful to use a locknut top and bottom too to make make the connection stiff.

Old 02-15-06, 10:50 AM
It MAY be possible that this assembly will solve the problem-----

2-1/2" male connector fitted to M-S------ short piece of 2-1/2" PVC conduit between the male connector and a 2-1/2" PVC coupling---- a 2" PVC coupling fitted into the 2-1/2" PVC coupling---2" PVC conduit extended from the 2" PVC coupling

Old 02-15-06, 01:30 PM
In that case, just put a PVC 2.5" x 2" bushing in the box connector.

Old 02-15-06, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by PATTBAA
It MAY be possible that this assembly will solve the problem-----

2-1/2" male connector fitted to M-S------ short piece of 2-1/2" PVC conduit between the male connector and a 2-1/2" PVC coupling---- a 2" PVC coupling fitted into the 2-1/2" PVC coupling---2" PVC conduit extended from the 2" PVC coupling
I think you may be able to omit the couplings --Do what PATTBAA said but just slip the 2" inside the 2-1/2". I use a similar setup for u/g services into a meter socket. Of course I don't glue it as I'm using it much like an expansion joint. But if you did glue it, I think it would make a pretty strong bond.